Did You Know?
Multiple studies and research over the past twenty years continue to confirm that childhood sexual abuse puts children at significant risk for a wide range of medical, psychological, behavioral and sexual disorders that can persist into and throughout adulthood.
The Nancy J. Cotterman Center (NJCC) is dedicated to improving and enhancing the quality of life for victims of sexual assault and child abuse through effective forensically sensitive interventions, implemented by professionals specializing in the fields of sexual assault and child abuse. In 2012, NJCC provided services to nearly 2,700 victims of sexual assault and physical abuse. If you suspect that someone you know is victim of sexual assault of child abuse, call the Nancy J. Cotterman Center at 954-761-7273.
- There are 42 million survivors of sexual abuse in America.
- In Florida, there is one reported FORCIBLE RAPE every 1 hour and 40 minutes.
- There were 307 report FORCIBLE RAPES in Broward County in 2012. There were 309 reported FORCIBLE RAPES from January to June 2013.
- 1 in 3 girls are sexually abused before the age of 18.
- 1 in 5 boys are sexually abused before the age of 18.
- 1 in 5 children are solicited sexually while on the Internet before the age of 18.
- 30 percent of sexual abuse is never reported.
- Nearly 70 percent of all reported sexual assaults (including assaults on adults) occur to children age 17 and under.
- 90 percent of child sexual abuse victims know the perpetrator in some way.
- Approximately 20 percent of the victims of sexual abuse are under eight.
- 95 percent of sexual abuse is preventable through education.
- 38 percent of the sexual abusers of boys are female.
- Myths and Facts. 1in6. Retrieved May 18, 2012,
- Male Survivor - "Overcoming Sexual Victimization of Boys & Men" http://www.malesurvivor.org/myths.html
- Dube, S.R., Anda, R.F., Whitfield, C.L., et al. (2005). Long-term consequences of childhood sexual abuse by gender of victim. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 28, 430–438.
- Black, M.C., Basile, K.C., Breiding, M.J., Smith, S.G., Walters, M.L., Merrick, M.T., Chen, J., & Stevens, M.R. (2011). The National Intimate Partner and Sexual Violence Survey (NISVS): 2010 Summary Report. Atlanta, GA: National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Truman, J. (2011) Criminal Victimization, 2010. Bureau of Justice Statistics Bulletin. Washington D.C.: Bureau of Justice Statistics. Retrieved May 18, 2012
- Florida Department of Law Enforcement http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/cms/CJSTC/Documents/Publications/SBVictim-Rights-6-11Final251adds.aspx
Links to Statistic Source Web Sites:
Bureau of Justice Statistics: Crime and Victims Statistics
Census 2000 Data for the State of Florida
FBI Uniform Crime Reports
FedStats - gateway to statistics from over 100 U.S. Federal agencies
Florida Council Against Sexual Violence