Before the Event
(See also Shelters and Special Needs Residents)
- Gather important identification information well in advance of the hurricane. Basic identification information can be printed on an armband. More extensive identification should be in a wallet or purse.
- Name, address, phone number
- Names, addresses and phone numbers of family and friends. This should include people to contact in case of an emergency. List at least one person who lives locally and another who lives out of state. Local contacts may have home damage and downed phone lines, so an out-of-state contact may be easier to reach by phone.
- Medical history
- List of medications and prescribing instructions
- Extra copies of prescriptions
- Names and phone numbers of physicians
- Health insurance information including phone numbers and policy numbers
- A list of models and serial numbers as well as suppliers for medical equipment including pacemakers, feeding pumps, home IV units, suction machines, wheelchairs
Updated April 2015