Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Before Event During Event After Event Resources

Before Event

It is also helpful to have photographs or video as well as receipts of your personal property stored in a safe location, too.  That may mean a set placed in a safe deposit box or with friends or relatives in another area.

Safeguard your records!

  • Obtain and periodically review your insurance coverages.  Homeowner, renter and windstorm insurances do not cover flooding. The National Flood Insurance Program​ is administered by the Federal government, and policies are sold through insurance agents. Consider flood insurance even if you live in an area not susceptible to flooding. Poor drainage systems, rapid accumulation of rainfall, and broken water mains can all result in flooding. It is important to see a licensed professional to ensure you have the correct amount and type of coverage. 
  • For a list of insurance agents and other helpful information, please see the Florida Office of Insurance Regulation.
  • Citizens Property Insurance Corporation is a not-for-profit, tax-exempt, governmental entity established by the Florida Legislature to provide insurance to Florida policyholders who are unable to find coverage in the private market.
  • The Florida Legislature also created the Florida Market Assistance Plan to help consumers obtain property and casualty coverage from authorized insurers in the private market.
  • More general inquires may also be answered by the Florida Insurance Council, a trade association of the insurance community, or by the Insurance Information Institute​ a national organization to help consumers better understand insurance.
  • Keep a set of copies at home. Take it with you if you are going to evacuate.

Updated June 2017