During the Event
Identify a “safe room” in your home where you can stay during the hurricane:
- Choose a room with no doors or windows, like a closet.
- Bring a mattress into the room and use it for additional protection against falling debris.
Store the following items in your "safe room" during a storm:
Updated June 2017
- Hurricane supply kit and drinking water.
- Important papers such as insurance policies, birth certificates, property inventory, driver's license and other identification, immunization records, school records, etc. These should be stored in a waterproof container.
- Cell phones with charging cords, flash lights
- Animal supply kit