During a Broward County emergency, information and updates about openings, closings and cancellations received by the Broward County Emergency Operations Center from local schools, governments and businesses will be posted here. Residents should also listen to television and radio broadcasts and check with their municipality for openings, closings and cancellation information.
Broward County Red Cross
The Broward County American Red Cross has opened two general population shelters. Shelters are open for residents of mobile homes, in low-lying areas, unsafe structures; however, there is no evacuation order. The following locations opened at 7 p.m. Saturday, August 25, 2012:
- Rock Island Elementary, 1701 N.W. 23 Ave. Fort Lauderdale
- Millenium Middle School (Pet Friendly Shelter), 5803 N.W. 94 Ave., Tamarac
Coral Springs closures
- All Coral Springs city facilities, including City Hall, City Hall South and City Hall in the Mall, will be closed until noon on Monday, August 27. All non-essential personnel will report back to work on 12:00 p.m. on Monday to resume normal operations (with exception of Parks, who will report in at 11:00 a.m.).
- The City of Coral Springs will close all parks, including the Gymnasium, Aquatic Complex and Sportsplex all day Sunday, August 26 and at least until noon on Monday, August 27. The city will continue to monitor weather conditions and assess any storm damage to determine when parks will reopen.
Deerfield Beach closures
The International Fishing Pier will close starting 12 a.m. on Sunday, August 26. The public beach is also closed to swimmers, as lifeguard towers are not staffed due to dangerous conditions.
Fort Lauderdale closures
Urban Expositions has cancelled the remaining days of the Fort Lauderdale Gift Show at the Greater Fort Lauderdale – Broward County Convention Center beginning Sunday, August 26-Tuesday, August 28, 2012.
Lauderhill City Hall will be open on Monday, 08/27/12.
Oakland Park openings
Oakland Park city services and facilities will be open Monday, August 27, 2012.
- The YMCA of Parkland will be closed on Sunday August 27th.
- Parkland city parks are closed Sunday, August 26, 2011. City parks will re-open as soon as conditions are safe enough to do so.
Pembroke Pines closures
The YMCA Aquatic Center will be closed on Sunday, August 27th.
The City of Sunrise will be closing all facilities and associated functions at 1 p.m. today, Sunday, August, 26 2012. The closure includes parks and other facilities in the City. All facilities will reopen tomorrow again in their normal schedule.
The Caporella Aquatic Center and the Caporella Fitness Center in Tamarac will be closed until further notice.
- The YMCA of Weston will be closed on Sunday August 27 and Monday 8/28 until noon.
- All city parks, Weston Community Center and YMCA closed on Sunday and closed Monday until at least noon.
All Weston City Administrative Offices, including City Hall will be open on Monday.
The following libraries are open Sunday, August 26, 2012, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.:
- African-American Research Library and Cultural Center
- North Regional/Broward College Library
- South Regional/Broward College Library
- Northwest Regional Library
- Southwest Regional Library
- West Regional Library
- Young at Art Library Museum/Broward County Library
17th Circuit Court announced County Courthouse is closed Monday, August 27, 2012.
The Broward County Property Appraiser's Office is closed Monday, August 27, 2012.
Broward County has a Website that lists businesses, by municipality, that are generator-equipped or generator-ready and therefore may be open for business after a storm, natural disaster or other emergency. The list includes grocery stores, gas stations, home improvement stores and other stores.