115 South Andrews Avenue, Room 426/427
Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33301
(Hearing Impaired/TTY): 954-357-7888
The Professional Standards Section, formerly known as the Internal Investigations and Oversight Division, is responsible for ensuring that all Broward County Government agencies and its employees comply with Broward County policies, procedures and ordinances set forth by the Broward County Board of County Commissioners.
The Professional Standards Section encompasses the following: Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA) - Title I and II, Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), Equal Employment Opportunity, and Professional Standards.
Each area plays a pivotal role in ensuring that employees, applicants, and residents are afforded the opportunities to fully participate in all aspects of County Government. In addition, we also strive to ensure that employees, applicants, and employees of vendors doing business with the County, are able to work in an environment free from all forms of discrimination that are prohibited by County policies, local, state and federal laws.
The Professional Standards Section investigates complaints alleging:
- Violations of HIPAA regulations by Broward County HIPAA covered agencies.
- Unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or political affiliation committed by a Broward County Government agency or a vendor doing business with the County.
- Violations of living wage, cone of silence requirements, and conflicts of interest involving Broward County employees (other than elected or appointed officials).
- Wrongdoing by County employees or independent contractors whose actions have resulted in a violation of law presenting a danger to public safety, gross waste of funds, or gross abuse or neglect of duty. These complaints may also be filed anonymously or by a complainant as a whistleblower.
- Retaliation against Broward County employees for participation in the actions listed above.
Professional Standards also reviews requests for ADA Title I accommodations submitted by Broward County Board of County Commissioner employees who need an accommodation to help them perform the essential job functions of their position.
In addition, we also ensure the County’s compliance with ADA Title II: Program, Service, activity, and Facility accessibility requirements and the provision of reasonable ADA accommodations to County employees and members of the public looking to participate in County services.
How to file a complaint:
You may file a formal complaint by completing the corresponding form and faxing, mailing or delivering the completed complaint form to the Professional Standards Section. All complaints should be filed in good faith.
HIPAA complaints may also be reported to a Broward County HIPAA covered agency’s HIPAA Liaison for suspected violations within their agency.
WAGE RECOVERY COMPLAINT FORM
LIVING WAGE COMPLAINT FORM
For more information on services provided or filing a complaint, please contact 954-357-6500.