Broward’s county and municipal elected officials are governed by the Constitution of the State of Florida, the State Code of Ethics (Chapter 112 of the Florida Statutes), the Broward Code of Ethics for Elected Officials (Section 1-19 of the Broward County Code of Ordinances), and any applicable, more restrictive municipal code of ethics.
In addition to other laws, elected officials are expected to abide by ethics laws relating to:
- Conflicts of Interest
- Gift Acceptance and Reporting
- Honest Services
- Lobbying and Lobbyists
- Open Meetings
- Public Records
Our office does not issue advisory opinions. For questions about how the Broward Code of Ethics for Elected Officials applies to them individually, Broward’s elected officials can request a binding legal opinion from their governmental entity’s attorney, under Section 1-19(c)(8) of the Broward County Code of Ordinances, the Ethics Code for Elected Officials. Those who wish to know how the State Code of Ethics applies to them should obtain an advisory opinion from the Florida Commission on Ethics at 850-488-7864.
Click on the links below to see laws referencing ethics for Broward’s elected officials:
- Florida Code of Ethics for Public Officers and Employees: Part III of Chapter 112, Fla. Stat.
- Florida Public Records Law: Chapter 119, Fla. Stat.
- Florida Open Meetings (Sunshine) Law: Fla. Stat. Sec. 286.011
- Broward Code of Ethics for Elected Officials: Code Sec. 1-19 (12/8/15 revisions pending)
- Broward Code of Conduct: Code Secs. 26-67 et seq.
- Cooper City: Charter Sec. 6.01
- Coconut Creek: Charter Sec. 901
- Coral Springs: Code Secs. 2-20 et seq., Code Sec. 2-304
- Deerfield Beach: Charter Sec. 8.01, Code Sec. 2-501 et seq.
- Hallandale Beach: Charter Sec. 7.01 et seq., Code Secs. 2-436 et seq.
- Hollywood: Code Secs. 34.01 et seq.
- Lauderdale Lakes: Charter Secs. 8.01 and 8.02, Code Secs. 2-91 et seq.
- Lauderdale-by-the-Sea: Charter Sec. 3.4, Code Sec. 2-25 et seq.
- Lauderhill: Charter Sec. 1.04, Code Sec. 2-166
- Margate: Charter Sec. 8.01
- Miramar: Code Secs. 2-287 et seq.
- North Lauderdale: Charter Sec. 9.4, Code Sec. 2-35, 2-162 and 2-163
- Oakland Park: Code Sec. 2-15.5
- Parkland: Code Secs. 2.5-5 et seq.
- Pembroke Pines: Charter Sec. 4.08; Code Sec. 30.50
- Pompano Beach: Charter Art. II. Sec. 15
- Sea Ranch Lakes: Charter Art. I Sec. 9
- Southwest Ranches: Charter Sec. 8.02, Code Secs. 2-171 et seq.
- Sunrise: Charter Sec. 7.01, Code Secs. 10-16 et seq.
- Tamarac: Code Sec. 2-261, Code Secs. 2-400 et seq.
- West Park: Code Secs. 2-77 et seq.
- Weston: Charter Sec. 7.02, Code Sec. 22.01
- Wilton Manors: Charter Sec. 4
Browse the rest of the Ethics section of the OIG website to locate other helpful resources for elected officials. Be sure not to miss compliance disclosure forms on the Forms page.