Broward’s county and municipal elected officials are governed by the Constitution of the State of Florida, the State Code of Ethics (Chapter 112 of the Florida Statutes), the Broward Code of Ethics for Elected Officials (Section 1-19 of the Broward County Code of Ordinances), and any applicable, more restrictive municipal code of ethics.
In addition to other laws, elected officials are expected to abide by ethics laws relating to:
- Conflicts of Interest
- Gift Acceptance and Reporting
- Honest Services
- Lobbying and Lobbyists
- Open Meetings
- Public Records
Our office does not issue advisory opinions. For questions about how the Broward Code of Ethics for Elected Officials applies to them individually, Broward’s elected officials can request a binding legal opinion from their governmental entity’s attorney, under Section 1-19(c)(8) of the Broward County Code of Ordinances, the Ethics Code for Elected Officials. Those who wish to know how the State Code of Ethics applies to them should obtain an advisory opinion from the Florida Commission on Ethics at 850-488-7864.
Click on the links below to see laws referencing ethics for Broward’s elected officials:
- Florida Code of Ethics for Public Officers and Employees: Part III of Chapter 112, Fla. Stat.
- Florida Public Records Law: Chapter 119, Fla. Stat.
- Florida Open Meetings (Sunshine) Law: Fla. Stat. Sec. 286.011
- Broward Code of Ethics for Elected Officials: Code Sec. 1-19
- Broward Code of Conduct: Code Secs. 26-67 et seq.
- Cooper City: Charter Sec. 6.01
- Coconut Creek: Charter Sec. 901
- Coral Springs: Code Secs. 2-20 et seq., Code Sec. 2-304
- Deerfield Beach: Charter Sec. 8.01, Code Sec. 2-501 et seq.
- Hallandale Beach: Charter Sec. 7.01 et seq., Code Secs. 2-436 et seq.
- Hollywood: Code Secs. 34.01 et seq.
- Lauderdale Lakes: Charter Secs. 8.01 and 8.02, Code Secs. 2-91 et seq.
- Lauderdale-by-the-Sea: Charter Sec. 3.4, Code Sec. 2-25 et seq.
- Lauderhill: Charter Sec. 1.04, Code Sec. 2-166
- Margate: Charter Sec. 8.01
- Miramar: Code Secs. 2-287 et seq.
- North Lauderdale: Charter Sec. 9.4, Code Sec. 2-35, 2-162 and 2-163
- Oakland Park: Code Sec. 2-15.5
- Parkland: Code Secs. 2.5-5 et seq.
- Pembroke Pines: Charter Sec. 4.08; Code Sec. 30.50
- Pompano Beach: Charter Art. II. Sec. 15
- Sea Ranch Lakes: Charter Art. I Sec. 9
- Southwest Ranches: Charter Sec. 8.02, Code Secs. 2-171 et seq..
- Sunrise: Charter Sec. 7.01, Code Secs. 10-16 et seq.
- Tamarac: Code Secs. 2-261 et seq., Code Secs. 2-400 et seq.
- West Park: Code Secs. 2-77 et seq.
- Weston: Charter Sec. 7.02, Code Sec. 22.01
- Wilton Manors: Charter Sec. 4
You will find the OIG's training supplements on the subjects of Charitable and Campaign Fundraising, Conflicts of Interest for Officials and Employees, Disclosure Requirements for Elected Officials, Lobbyists and Lobbying, and Officials and Employees Accepting and Reporting Gifts to be helpful in identifying ethics issues and in locating relevant ethics laws.