2013 Bike, Walk or Carpool to School Poster Contest
Open to Elementary & Middle School Students
Prizes Include Tickets to Local Attractions, Books & Movies
2013 Solutions for Sustainable Schools CALENDAR
Theme: Bike, Walk or Carpool to School
National Bike to School Day is May 8, 2013. The Broward County Air Quality Program and South Florida Commuter Services recommend walking, biking and carpooling to school for both a healthy lifestyle and a healthy environment. Walking and bicycling is fun and is even more so when students do it together. The trip to school is a chance for children (and adults!) to get the physical activity they need. Replacing car trips to school with walking or bicycling can reduce congestion and air-polluting emissions. And reducing traffic congestion, boosting a sense of community, and improving neighborhood connections benefit the community. This year marks our 10th poster contest anniversary!
For more ideas and more information, visit the Broward County Air Quality page “How You Can Help Reduce Your Carbon Footprint,” the International Walk & Bike to School page, and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s Student’s Guide to Global Climate Change.
- All entries must be received by the Broward County Air Quality Program by close of business April 26, 2013.
- Posters may be sent via School Board Pony to: Attn: Air Quality, c/o Renee M. Brown, 600 SE 3rd Avenue, 7th Floor - Office of Diversity & Prevention Programs, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33301, or email firstname.lastname@example.org for other options.
- The student’s name, school, grade level, teacher’s name & e-mail address must be written on the back of the poster.
- On the back of the poster, be sure to include a paragraph explaining the bike, walk or carpool idea. Be sure to have students concentrate on the health benefits of walking and biking. Paragraphs must be a maximum of 75 words.
- Winners will be selected in three grade categories: K — 2nd, 3rd—5th and 6th—8th
- Poster size: no larger than 12 inches X 18 inches. Smaller sizes are acceptable as well.
- Please do not fold posters. Entries must be mailed flat and must not be folded, matted or mounted.
- Poster orientation: Landscape
- Students are encouraged to include an original slogan or title on their posters.
- Only original work will be considered (no magazine cutouts).
- Contest is open to all students from Broward County Elementary and Middle Schools.
Winning entries will be featured in the 2014 Clean Air calendar. Posters submitted for the contest may be used for educational purposes, and will become the property of Broward County. This year’s newsletters support the Next Generation Sunshine State Standards for Science for all grades.
Entries will be judged using the following criteria:
Effectiveness & Relevance to theme (75%):
Does the poster effectively illustrate and have a written description relevant to the Bike, Walk or Carpool to School theme? Does the poster clearly express an environmental message?
Creativity & Neatness (25%):
Does the student use creative forms of expression? Is the poster neat and easily understood? How much time and effort does the poster exhibit?
If you have any questions regarding the 2013 Poster Contest or have any comments, call 954-519-1260 or e-mail email@example.com. You can also visit the Broward County Air Quality Program web site.