Open to Elementary & Middle School Students
Prizes Include Tickets to Local Attractions, Books & Movies
Theme: Solutions for Sustainable Schools
A sustainable school is one that meets the educational and environmental needs of present generations without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs. Sustainability is managed by balancing the areas of education, environment, society, and economy to contribute to a healthy future for all. There are a number of ways to achieve sustainability in schools in the areas of:
- Energy Efficiency
- Waste Reduction, Reusing & Recycling
- Alternative Transportation
- Green Shopping
- Water Reduction
For more ideas and more information, visit the Broward County Air Quality page “How You Can Help Reduce Your Carbon Footprint,” the Sustainable Schools Collaborative, the Energy Star web page, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s Student’s Guide to Global Climate Change, and Sustainable Schools Examples.
- All entries must be received by the Broward County Air Quality Program by close of business April 27, 2012.
- Posters may be sent via School Board Pony to: Attn: Air Quality, c/o Renee M. Brown, 600 SE 3rd Ave., 4th Floor, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33301, or email firstname.lastname@example.org for other options.
- The student’s name, school, grade level, and teacher’s name & e-mail address must be written on the back of the poster.
- On the back of the poster, be sure to include a paragraph explaining the sustainable school solution. Paragraphs must be a maximum of 75 words.
- Winners will be selected in three grade categories: K — 2nd, 3rd—5th and 6th—8th
- Poster size: no larger than 12 inches X 18 inches. Smaller sizes are acceptable as well.
- Please do not fold posters. Entries must be mailed flat and must not be folded, matted or mounted.
- Poster orientation: Landscape
- Students are encouraged to include an original slogan or title on their posters.
- Only original work will be considered (no magazine cutouts).
- Contest is open to all students from Broward County Elementary and Middle Schools.
Winning entries will be featured in the 2013 Clean Air calendar. Posters submitted for the contest may be used for educational purposes, and will become the property of Broward County. This year’s newsletters support the Next Generation Sunshine State Standards for Science for all grades.
Entries will be judged using the following criteria:
Effectiveness & Relevance to theme (75%):
Does the poster effectively illustrate and have a written description relevant to the Solutions for Sustainable Schools theme? Does the poster clearly express an environmental message?
Creativity & Neatness (25%):
Does the student use creative forms of expression? Is the poster neat and easily understood? How much time and effort does the poster exhibit?
If you have any questions regarding the 2012 Poster Contest or have any comments, call 954-519-1260 or e-mail email@example.com. You can also visit the Broward County Air Quality Program web site.