Environmental Superheroes Poster Contest
Open to Elementary, Middle and High School Students
Superheroes can stop criminals, save towns, thwart the plans of evil master minds, and rescue people from frightening situations, but few realize they can also stop climate change and save the environment. For this poster contest, students should imagine their most creative Environmental Superhero. How would the superhero save the world and preserve the earth? Would they save the oceans by removing plastic waste and prevent oil spills? Would they convert landfills to parks? Maybe turn themselves into animals and gobble up pollution? Perhaps control the weather and blast away excess carbon dioxide? Students should pay special attention to Florida, which boasts numerous natural resources including beaches, coral reefs, wetlands, lakes, and clean air. Students can also consider superheroes tackling issues such as saving electricity by turning off lights, taking shorter showers, carpooling, planting trees, recycling and reusing. Ask students to create a poster illustrating the Environmental Superhero with their costume, super powers and magic. The poster can depict one scene or be divided up into a “comic strip” if desired. On the back of the poster, students can tell us the superhero’s name, super powers, and the hero’s environmental mission. The deadline for posters submission is December 18, 2015. View Poster (PDF)
- All entries must be received by the Broward County Air Quality Program by close of business December 18, 2015.
- Posters may be sent via School Board Pony to: Attn: Air Quality, c/o Rebecca Malones, Mathematics, Science, and Gifted Department @ KC Wright Building, 12th Floor, or email email@example.com for other options.
- The student’s name, school, grade level, teacher’s name & e-mail address must be written on the back of the poster.
- On the back of the poster, be sure to include a paragraph explaining the superhero’s name, super powers, and the hero’s environmental mission. Paragraphs must be a maximum of 75 words.
- Winners will be selected in the following grade categories: K - 2nd, 3rd - 5th, 6th - 8th and 9th - 12th
- Poster size: no larger than 12 inches X 18 inches. Smaller sizes are acceptable as well.
- Please do not fold posters. Entries must be mailed flat and must not be folded, matted or mounted.
- Poster orientation: LANDSCAPE • Only original work will be considered (no magazine cutouts).
- Contest is open to all students from Broward County Elementary, Middle and High Schools.
This is a FREE contest. Winning entries will be featured in the 2017 Clean Air calendar. Posters submitted for the contest may be used for educational purposes, and will become the property of Broward County. This year’s newsletters support the Next Generation Sunshine State Standards for Science for all grades.
Entries will be judged using the following criteria:
Effectiveness & Relevance to theme (75%):
Does the poster effectively illustrate and have a written description relevant to the environmental superhero
theme? Does the poster clearly express an environmental message?
Creativity & Neatness (25%)
Does the student use creative forms of expression? Is the poster neat and easily understood? How much time
and effort does the poster exhibit?
If you have any questions regarding the Poster Contest or have any comments,
call 954-519-1260 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also visit the
Broward County Air Quality Program web site.
Open to Elementary, Middle
and High School Students
Prizes Include Gift Cards, Tickets to Local Attractions,
Solar Powered Gadgets, Books and Movies