The Reference Section, located on the fifth floor of the Broward County Main Library, maintains a collection of the law materials of the State of Florida. The collection includes the following major categories of law:
- Statutory Law: laws enacted by the Florida Legislature
- Administrative Law
Executive: Governor’s Proclamations and Executive Orders
Administrative: rules and decisions of Florida’s administrative agencies
- Case Law: court opinions
Legal resources include:
Florida Statutes: text of the laws enacted by the Florida Legislature.
Florida Administrative Code: regulations of the Florida administrative agencies.
Southern Reporter: court opinions of Florida, Alabama, Louisiana, and Mississippi.
The Reference Section maintains an historical collection of Florida session laws, in print and on microfiche, beginning in 1822. Paper copies of legislative journals go back several decades. The Section also maintains a collection of the opinions of the Florida Attorney General dating back to 1941.
- Findlaw Legal information at the federal and state levels.
- Law Depot Customizable legal documents; articles and legal definitions.
- Legal Information Reference Center Legal reference books and legal forms that may be searched by state or area of law.
- LoisLaw Database of statutory, administrative, and case law, at the federal level and for all fifty states. Accessible by visiting the Reference Section at the Broward County Main Library, a librarian will log you into the database.