- University of Florida Law School, J.D., with honors, 1979
- Florida State University, B.A., summa cum laude, 1976
- Florida, 1979
- Board Certified in City, County and Local Government Law
- U.S. Courts of Appeal for the Eleventh and District of Columbia Circuits
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
Joni Armstrong Coffey
Joined the Office in 2011
In March 2011, the Board of County Commissioners appointed Joni Armstrong Coffey as the eighth County Attorney since the Broward County Charter went into effect in 1975.
Ms. Coffey joined Broward County after a long career in public-sector practice and leadership in the legal profession. Her practice has included litigation before federal and state courts and administrative agencies, as well as experience in transactional and regulatory matters. She spent many years with the Miami-Dade County Attorney’s Office, most recently as section chief of the Land Use and Environmental practice group. Before that, she was an associate with the private law firm of Steel, Hector and Davis. Immediately after law school, she served as a judicial law clerk to Judge Peter T. Fay of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the (then) Fifth Circuit.
A Florida Bar Board Certified City, County and Local Government Lawyer, Ms. Coffey is a past chair of the Florida Bar’s Board of Legal Specialization and Education, which oversees board certification for the Bar as well as all Continuing Legal Education course approval. She is also a past chair of the Florida Bar City, County and Local Government Law Section, and continues to serve on its executive council. Ms. Coffey has served on the Florida Bar’s grievance committees and CLE Committee, and as Chair of the Legal Affairs Management Committee of the City of Miami Financial Oversight Board and of the Children’s Home Society, Southeastern Florida Division. She has lectured in numerous continuing legal education courses, including courses for the National Judicial College, the Florida Bar, the Florida Municipal Attorney’s Association, and the Florida Planning and Zoning Association.
With an active interest in legal education and professionalism, Ms. Coffey teaches as an adjunct law professor in the areas of land use law, environmental law, administrative law, election law, and Florida constitutional law. She is active in Inns of Court as a means to foster professionalism and legal scholarship.
Awards and Recognitions:
- Justice Harry Lee Anstead Board Certified Lawyer of the Year Award, Florida Bar, 2014.
- Paul S. Buchman Award (1998) and Ralph A. Marsicano Award (2000) for public service, City, County and Local Government Law Section, Florida Bar
- Robert L. Shevin Public Service Award, Dade County Bar Association, 2010
- “Top 20 Women in Law in South Florida,” Daily Business Review, 2015
- Legal Elite Hall of Fame, Florida Trend Magazine, 2015
- AV-rated by the Martindale Hubbell peer-review attorney rating service
- “Private Property Rights Protection Legislation: Statutory Claims for Relief from Government Regulation,” in Florida Environmental and Land Use Law Treatise, Vol. III, Chapter 30.
- High Hopes, Hollow Harvest: State Remedies for Partial Regulatory Takings, 39 The Urban Lawyer 619.
- Practical Aspects of Quasi-Judicial Hearings: Basic Tools, Recent Fine-Tuning, 30 Stetson Law Review 931.