- Cornell Law School, J.D., magna cum laude, 1997
- Amherst College, B.A. in Political Science, magna cum laude, 1994
- Illinois, 1997
- Florida, 2003
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Seventh and Eleventh Circuits
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern District of Illinois and the Southern District of Florida
René D. Harrod
Assistant County Attorney
Joined the Office in 2012
René Harrod joined the County Attorney’s Office in 2012, bringing extensive experience in private and public-sector practice. She now heads the Office’s Special Public Sector Issues and Information Technology practice group, where her work includes complex litigation, software-licensing matters, and technology transactions and disputes.
Before joining the County Attorney’s Office, Ms. Harrod litigated Unfair and Deceptive Trade Practices and similar claims as an assistant attorney general in the Consumer Protection Division of the Florida Attorney General’s Office. Before that, she was a shareholder and team manager of the Dispute Resolution Department at Berger Singerman, P.A., where she litigated complex commercial disputes, with emphasis on receiverships, complex fraud, business torts, and contract actions. In that role, she supervised more than 20 attorneys plus support staff. Previously, she was a litigation associate at Latham & Watkins LLP in Chicago, where she litigated commercial disputes with a focus on class actions, complex commercial litigation, trademark prosecution, and patent litigation.
Ms. Harrod has held several leadership posts in voluntary bar associations. She has served as a board member of the national organization of the Federal Bar Association, the editor-in-chief of the association’s magazine, The Federal Lawyer, the president of the Broward chapter of the Federal Bar Association, and the president of the Broward County Women Lawyers’ Association.
Outside her professional life, Ms. Harrod volunteers with 4 Kids of South Florida and First Baptist Church at Weston. She also is an avid runner and has completed multiple Ironman events.
Articles and Publications:
Awards and Recognitions
- Florida Legal Elite, Florida Trend, Government Attorney (2012, 2014, 2015), Up & Comer (2007-2010)
- Florida Super Lawyers (2009), “Rising Star” (2010)
- South Florida Legal Guide, Top Up & Comers (2007-2010)
- South Florida Business Journal’s “40 Under 40” (2010)
- Attorney of the Year (2011-2012), Office of the Attorney General, Economic Crimes Division
- South Florida's Top Rated Lawyers (2012, 2013)
- AV rating, Martindale-Hubbell