Navigate Up
Sign In
Skip navigation links
News
Events & Classes
Catalogs & Online Resources
Locations & Hours
Support Your Library
A to Z
Help
Skip navigation links
A Short History of Broward County
Archaeology
Broward County Historical Commission Board Members
Broward Heritage Celebration 2014
Broward Milestones
Donations
Events
Historic Photo Gallery
Historical Commission Collections
Links
National Register of Historic Places in Broward County
Public Meeting Notices
100 Years: Celebrating Fort Lauderdale’s Centennial
Broward County > Library > History > 100 Years: Celebrating Fort Lauderdale’s Centennial

Broward County Libraries Division
Broward County Historical Commission

Descriptions in order of slides:

  1. Upper New River
    Broward County Historical Commission
    Bryan Family Collection
     
  2. Fort Lauderdale Woman's Club was founded in 1911
    From the Collections of the Broward County Historical Commission
     
  3. Fort Lauderdale, 1912
    The three-story building is the Harry Harman Garage
    Broward County Historical Commission, Bryan Family Collection
     
  4. In 1912, Fort Lauderdale had a terrible fire
    Broward County Historical Commission, Bryan Family Collection
     
  5. Fort Lauderdale, Brickell Avenue looking south, ca. 1912
    Broward County Historical Commission, Baker Collection
     
  6. The  Bryan Building in Fort Lauderdale was built in 1913-14
    From the collections of the Broward County Historical Commission, Photograph by Bill Cunningham
     
  7. Some of the first Broward County Commissioners, 1915
    From left to right: Charles Ingalls, Alexander Lowe, J. J. Joyce
    From the Collections of the Broward County Historical Commission
     
  8. The first school bus in Broward County, 1915
    Broward County Historical Commission, Phelps Collection
     
  9. James Holding was the first Broward County Superintendant of Public Instruction, 1915
    From the Collections of the Broward County Historical Commission
     
  10. Broward County’s first courthouse on South Andrews was built in 1910 as a school.
    From the collections of the Broward County Historical Commission
     
  11. An office in the Broward County Courthouse, 1915
    Broward County Historical Commission, Frost Family Collection
     
  12. Farming in the Everglades, ca. 1910
    Broward County Historical Commission, Grace Chavis Collection
     
  13. Campaign Brochure Broward County was established in 1915 and named for Governor Napoleon Bonaparte Broward
    From the collections of the Broward County Historical Commission
     
  14. One of the major holders of real estate, the Florida Fruit Lands Company, incorporated in 1911. A land drawing they had drew several thousand people to buy lots.
    From the collections of the Broward County Historical Commission
     
  15. Early Pioneer Blanche Forman after shooting an alligator she found eating her chickens
    Forman Family Collection
     
  16. Farmers on Florinada Road between Oakland Park Boulevard and Commercial, 1912
    From the collections of the Broward County Historical Commission
     
  17. Boat on New River, 1913
    Broward County Historical Commission, Ivan Austin Collection
     
  18. Dredging
    The Florida East Coast Canal, (later the Intracoastal Waterway) was completed from Jacksonville to Biscayne Bay in 1911
    Broward County Historical Commission, Broward Family Collection
     
  19. The North New River Canal was completed from Lake Okeechobee to the New River in 1912
    From the collections of the Broward County Historical Commission
     
  20. Early Packing House
    From the Collections of the Broward County Historical Commission
     
  21. Oliver Hall, 1914
    This was a popular place to dance.
    Broward County Historical Commission, Oleta Dunworth Collection
     
  22. Downtown Fort Lauderdale with the Sentinel Building, ca. 1916
    Broward County Historical Commission, Ivan Austin Collection
     
  23. Transportation by bus, 1916
    From the collections of the Broward County Historical Commission
     
  24. Dixie Highway, 1917
    From the collections of the Broward County Historical Commission 
     
  25. Florida East Coast Railroad Station
    Broward County Historical Commission, Bryan Family Collection
     
  26. Early Pioneers, the Bryan Family, ca. 1921
    Standing (L to R):
    Tom, Catherine Barrett, Perry, Florence Barrett, Eliza
    Dreka, Virginai
    Dallas Bryan, Constance Gardner, Stella Bryan, Reed A. Bryan, Sitting (L to R) Lucy, P. N. Lucy Gardener On ground (L to R) James, Reed, Betty
    Broward County Historical Collection, Bryan Collection
     
  27. Fort Lauderdale’s first automobile, 1910
    The make was “Glide 42” and it was owned by Reed A. Bryan, Sr., young Perry Bryan is at the wheel, in the background is the New River Inn
    Broward County Historical Commission, Bryan Family Collection
     
  28. Las Olas Boulevard, ca. 1917
    Broward County Historical Commission, Bryan Family Collection
     
  29. Bridges from the mainland settlements to the sparsely populated beach were completed at Pompano, Hallandale and Fort Lauderdale in 1919
    Broward County Historical Commission, Rodes Collection
     
  30. Broward’s first “tourist hotel” opened in Fort Lauderdale in 1917.
    Broward County Historical Commission, Ivan Austin Collection
     
  31. The county’s first seawall was constructed on the New River in 1919.
    From the Collections of the Broward County Historical Commission