Periodicals, located in the Main Library, offer approximately 1600 periodical items in both paper and microform formats. Many titles are unique to the Main Library, including a complete run of the local newspapers for the South Florida area. About one fourth of this collection is purchased by Florida Atlantic University (FAU). The microfiche materials include older phone directories and Historic Buildings Surveys. In addition, it also houses microfilm copies of the Japanese Times, and Sotheby Catalogues.
The Periodicals section provides customer assistance in many ways. The staff
- Retrieves requested items for customers
- Maintains a selection of popular current magazines for browsing
- Maintains extensive files of back issues of magazines/journals/newspapers in print
- Provides ready reference to customers using Library databases
- Instructs customers in using Library databases
- Instructs customers in using microform equipment
- Fills request for articles via email, fax or interlibrary loan
- Answers out of area requests received via phone, email or U.S. Mail for obituaries
and local newspaper articles
Additionally Periodicals handles reserves for FAU’s Downtown Fort Lauderdale Campus.
This area includes
- Books & copies of material put on reserve each semester by professors
- An FAU faculty/graduate student room which contains computers with a printer, scanner, television monitor, a combination VCR/DVD player, and more 500 reference/reserved AV materials. AV formats include DVDS and videocassettes.