Updated: February 21, 2012
Who gets your vote in 2012? Make informed decisions on politics and the issues with help from your Broward County Library
In less than a year, U.S. voters will head to the polls to cast their ballot for our country’s next president. The 2012 election will be major, with hotbed issues such as joblessness, the economy and health care dividing public opinion (and political parties) and setting the stage for divisive politics and hard-core campaigning.
You watch the news. You read the papers. Are you getting enough info to make the decision that’s right for you? If you want the straight scoop on politics and issues before you vote, visit Broward County Library for unbiased information on the people and events that shape your life.
Find books (print, audio and electronic) on all things political written by pundits, policy makers and event past presidents. Review the latest newspapers from around the state, the country and the world. Go online at one of the thousands of available public-use computers and read the latest news and political blogs. Access electronic databases that go in-depth to provide news articles, images, video and other content that bring you all sides of the story.
Locate reliable, sourced information on current events, issues and public figures with free online resources from Broward County Library. With hundreds of thousands of articles from respected academic and professional journals, encyclopedias, almanacs and other sources, finding what you need is simple and easy. Visit online at home or at one of the Library’s 36 locations, where professional reference librarians can assist you.
Here’s a sampling of helpful BCL online resources for researching candidates and issues:
- NewsBank’s Special Reports & Current Event Hot Topics: Search issues and events by themes such as world politics and government, people in the news and more. Find reports featuring current and retrospective coverage, with new articles and content added daily.
- NewsNow: Over 600 international newspapers from over 200 countries in English and native languages.
- Opposing Viewpoints in Context: Viewpoint articles, topic overviews, full-text magazine, journal and newspaper articles as well as statistics, images and podcasts on today’s hottest social issues.
- Thomas: Library of Congress website that provides U.S. legislative information and text of bills from 1989 to today.
- USA.gov: Primary-source statistics and information from this official U.S. government web portal.
- White House: Major issues and news plus text of major speeches, proclamations and executive orders of the President.
Periodicals & Print Resources
Like your information in hard copy? Visit the library to find hundreds of magazine, journal and periodical titles you can read for free. Read news magazines and political journals from both sides of the political spectrum, browse newspapers from around the country to find out what’s happening nationwide and read about the latest newsmakers. Looking for a certain title? Call ahead to your local library to see if they have what you’re looking for.
| Great Reads by Presidents Past and Present available @ BCL:|
Back to Top
Dreams of My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance, by Barack Obama More...
||A Charge to Keep, by George W. Bush More...|
||All the Best, George Bush: My Life in Letters and Other Writing, by George Bush More...|
||My Life: The Early Years, by Bill Clinton More...|
||An American Life, by Ronald Reagan More...|
||Keeping Faith: Memoirs of a President, by Jimmy Carter More...|
||A Time to Heal: The Autobiography of Gerald R. Ford, by Gerald R. Ford More...|
||In the Arena: A Memoir of Victory, Defeat and Renewal, by Richard M. Nixon More...|
||Quotable Lyndon B. Johnson, by Lyndon B. Johnson More..|
||Profiles in Courage, by John F. Kennedy More...|