Pair your iPad or tablet with Broward County Library and get library services on the go!
Whether you prefer browsing the stacks at your local library for hard copies of favorite titles and hot bestsellers or downloading a free issue of ESPN or Vanity Fair to read on the go, Broward County Library has got you covered.
Now more than ever, customers can create a library experience that suits them perfectly and adapts to changing needs and technology. Library users now have their choice of how, when and where they can access Broward County Library’s invaluable resources and services. Mix and match free downloadable movies, music and magazines with trips to the local library for events, workshops and classes or a quiet place to curl up with a good read.
As library services progress and change to meet current consumer needs, the method of delivering service – or at least the medium – also morphs. Printed pages once ruled unchallenged in the quiet halls of the library; now many libraries have electronic book collections that rival the more traditional bound-and-printed books. Three-dimensional printers now create maker’s spaces in libraries where members of the community can imagine, dream and dare. The role of the library in Broward County is expanding to encompass an information hub, a community gathering center and a place where knowledge is shared freely and to all.
New Ways to Access Library Services – Free Classes
Show You How
A decade ago, eReaders were the latest and greatest way for readers to get the titles they want. Then, just a few years ago, library customers were accessing services with smart phones.
Now things are changing again: Adobe Digital Index analyzed more than 100 billion visits to 1,000 web sites worldwide and discovered that many are getting more traffic from tablets (8%) than smartphones (7%). According to a recent Nielsen survey, 48% of U.S. households will own a tablet by 2014 – and so are options for today’s library customers. In anticipation of this trend, Broward County Library is offering free classes on how to use new technology to access library services.
- October 31, November 14 and 21 - E-Reader Open House Workshop/Seminar, 10:30 a.m. to 12 noon, North Regional/Broward College Library
- October 31 - Download Free eBooks, 4 to 5 p.m., Northwest Regional Library
- November 2, 7 - Digital Download Information Session. Bring your device and find out how to download eBooks, eMagazines and music from your Library. Attendees must possess working knowledge of their device, 11 a.m. to noon, Imperial Point Library
- November 4 - How To Download an eBook, 6 to 7:30 p.m., Southwest Regional Library
- November 4, 13 - How To Download an eBook, 1 to 2:30 p.m., Southwest Regional Library
- November 9 - How to Download Free Magazines With Zinio, 1 to 2:30 p.m., Southwest Regional Library
- November 13 - Try Your Hand at iPad (OASIS) earn the basic tricks and techniques for using your iPad including: physical layout of buttons and features, navigating screens and apps, connecting to the Internet, overview of included apps, downloading apps from the Apple Store and the settings you need to know. Please bring your own iPad fully charged, 6 to 7 p.m., Miramar Branch Library & Education Center
- November 14 - Apps in a Snap, 4 to 5:30 p.m., Southwest Regional Library
- November 23 - Download Free Music from Freegal, 1 to 2 p.m., Southwest Regional Library
- November 25 - Downloading, 12:30 to 2 p.m., Main Library
Try It Before You Buy It!
If an eReader’s on your holiday wish list, borrow one from Broward County Library and try it before you buy it! Eighteen Broward County Library locations offer free eReaders for customers to check out. Customers must be 18 years or older; before checking out the eReader, each customer gets a brief, hands-on tutorial from trained library staff.
New Service Brings Free IndieFlix Streaming Videos to Library Customers
Broward County Library customers now have thousands of independent movies from around the world streamed instantly over the Internet – for free via IndieFlix. Access shorts, documentaries and feature films from worldwide film festivals. Watch on your Xbox, PC, Mac, Smartphone, Tablet and even Roku. Requires IE8 or above, Chrome, Firefox or Safari internet browser for optimal results. IndieFlix uses the same login as Zinio Magazines, so if you already have an RBGateway account, you are ready to watch streaming videos.
Why Buy When You Can Download for Free from Broward County Libraries?
Free music on the go! Use your mobile device to download five free songs a week from Freegal. Keep them forever and build your music collection week by week! Access current hits, old favorites and an eclectic collection of tunes that cross all genres and styles. Library customers can use their Broward County Library card number and the last four digits of the phone number associated with that card.
Zinio Digital Newsstand Offers Your Favorite Magazines Anyplace and Anytime
Read hundreds of popular magazines complete with full photos and illustrations or subscribe to current digital magazines that can be viewed on any computer or mobile device/tablet for free. A free Library Magazine Account and a Zinio Account are required to select and view the magazines.
BCL WoW – Broward County Library Without Walls Mobile App:
The new mobile app from Broward County Library allows you to access your library account, search the catalog, place holds, find your nearest library, download music, magazines, eBooks and more – for free! Download formats for Android™, Apple® and other smart phones and get your library to go.
Free Language-Learning App from Byki Mobile
Learn a second (or third or fourth) language for free, at your pace, from Broward County Library’s language-learning app, Byki. Byki locks words and phrases into your memory so you can recall them perfectly and remember them forever. It also tracks your learning progress with statistics on the number of items you have learned and lets you test your knowledge with quizzes.
BCL WoW – Broward County Library Without Walls, One-Stop Library Service
Find all of Broward County Library’s great electronic services in one place: BCL WoW – Broward County Library Without Walls. Customers can:
- Download eBooks or eAudiobooks
- Download free hit music
- Access free digital magazines
- Download a free language-learning mobile app
- Get online reference help
- Access free online tutors and job coaches