Get your groove on during National Dance Day at Broward County Library. Launched in 2010 by So You Think You Can Dance co-creator and Dizzy Feet Foundation co-president Nigel Lythgoe, National Dance Day is an annual celebration that takes place on the last Saturday in July.
This grassroots campaign encourages Americans to embrace dance as a fun and positive way to maintain good health and fight obesity. National Dance Day achieved national recognition when Congresswoman Eleanor Holmes Norton (D-DC), a long-time proponent of healthy lifestyles, announced at a press conference on July 31, 2010, in Washington, D.C., that she was introducing a congressional resolution declaring the last Saturday in July to be the country’s official National Dance Day.
Celebrate Dance at Movement for National Dance Day: Events at Broward County Libraries:
- Wednesdays - Row, Row, Row Your Boat with Ms. Luz: Stories, finger plays, dances and song, ages 20-40 months with caregiver, 11 a.m. to noon, Riverland Library
- July 22 - Get Movin’, Get Groovin’, Get Active with Ronald McDonald, ages 3-10, 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. Large groups welcome, but must pre-register, 954-201-2626. Free ticketed event for families. First come, first served. North Regional/Broward College Library
- July 24 - Tommy the Train Summer Show presented by VIP Party Productions: Sing, read and dance with your favorite character. Snacks and free books. Sponsored by Friends of the Hollywood Libraries, ages 3-5, 1 to 2 p.m., Hollywood Library
- July 26 - Dance-A-Story - Storytelling with a Beat, all ages with caregiver, 2 to 3 p.m., Nova Southeastern University Alvin Sherman Library, Research and Information Technology Center
- July 26 - Red Hot Salsa Dancing - Learn and Join in with Gemini Danz! 10:30 to 11:30 a.m., Northwest Regional Library
- July 26 - Zumba - Learn and join in with Gemini Danz, 1 to 2 p.m., North Regional/Broward College Library
Free Dance Music – Make Your Own Mix with Broward County Libraries’ Free Downloadable Songs!
Be your own DJ with Freegal, a free service for Broward County Library customers that puts thousands of the hottest hits songs from past and present at your fingertips. Freegal allows five free downloadable songs a week, every week, with selections from every musical genre you can imagine. Use your Broward County Library card number to sign up for Freegal and get the sounds and songs you want at no cost.