Five Reasons to Stitch It Up During National Sewing Month
Novice or expert, it’s time to thread up in September with National Sewing Month, a celebration of home sewing and textile skills. The celebration was launched in 1982 by the American Home Sewing and Craft Association, an industry and trade association supporting the sewing and crafting industries.
While it was once known as a survival skill for women (as well as a career choice), sewing still makes sense. Savvy sewers can do wonders with a machine and thread, with today’s enthusiasts consisting of men and women of all ages and walks of life. Not yet convinced?
Here are the Top Five Reasons to Sew:
- Save money: Mending and making your own clothes makes good financial sense. Cash spent on alterations, repairs and new outfits adds up. Cut costs by sewing your own.
- Lots of free projects: You can visit the official Sewing Month website and find instructional videos and project ideas. Learn how to make your own Kindle/iPad cover, download how-to instructions for an easy and cute matching dog collar/leash set. Many magazines offer also free project ideas: visit our Zinio page to download free magazines such as
Cloth, Paper, Scissors, Crochet Traditions,
Quilting Arts and more. All you need is your Broward County Library card.
- Get recognized for your work! Enter a National Sewing Month contest to show off your own sewing projects.
- Learn on your own: Broward County Libraries has DVDs such as
Couture Techniques for Fine Sewing and others that provide instruction at your convenience. Use your Broward County Library card to access Universal Class to take free online classes such as Sewing 101.
- Open up your social skills! Taking a class in sewing or joining a sewing group is a great way to make friends. Check out the free events from Broward County Libraries (see below) and learn more.
National Sewing Month Events at Broward County Libraries
September 20 – Sewing: Create a Humbag Bag at this free class for adults. All materials are included, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., North Regional/Broward College Library
September 28 – Teens: Let’s Learn To Sew! 1 to 3:30 p.m., Northwest Regional Library
Exhibits: The Magic of Sewing by the Coral Springs Chapter of the American Sewing Guild. On display at Northwest Regional Library and North Regional/Broward College Library
Book Displays: Northwest Branch Library and Northwest Regional Library
National Sewing Month: New Books on Textile Crafts from BCL
Colour Confidence in Embroidery (Milner Craft Series) by Trish Burr
Cool Fabric Projects: Creative Ways to Upcycle Your Trash into Treasure by Pam Scheunemann
Crochet-opedia: The Only Crochet Reference You'll Ever Need by Julie Oparka
Knit Your Own Cat: Easy-to-Follow Patterns for 16 Frisky Felines by Sally Muir
Pop Knitting: Bold Motifs Using Color & Stitch by Britt-Marie Christoffersson
Pincushions (Love to Sew) by Salli-Ann Cook
Stuffed Animals: From Concept to Construction by Abigail Patner Glassenberg