Free job search and résumé writing resources available at Broward County Library locations countywide
Unemployed, underemployed or ready for something better? Whether you’re looking for your first job, a new career or just want to get back to work, Broward County Libraries can help make your job search easier. While Florida unemployment rates aren’t getting any worse, they’re not improving much either. According to June 2013 figures released by the Florida Department of Economic Opportunity, the state’s unemployment rate is holding steady at 7.1%, just slightly below the national average.
If you’re ready to join Florida’s other, employed 92.9%, the library can help. In addition to great books, DVDs, music and downloadable materials, Broward County Library offers help to job seekers countywide. Resources include:
- Broward County Library Catalog: Search for resources on topics such as resume writing, interviewing, networking and other employment-related subjects. Need help with your search? Reference librarians are available at all BCL locations to assist customers in finding what they need. You can also visit the Library’s Help Center to get live help from a librarian via text message or email.
- Unemployment & Assistance: Broward County Libraries’ e-Government resources brings all of the web sites you need together into one place. Apply online for state unemployment help; access other government documents and forms including legal forms; find local and community resources such as emergency assistance, food banks and social services via Broward 211 website.
- Free Public-Use Computers and Wireless Internet Access: Broward County Libraries has thousands of computers located at library locations countywide that are available for use during library hours.
- Free Computer Classes: BCL offers free public computer classes that include topics such as online job searching and resume writing, computer literacy, word processing, PowerPoint, Excel and social media, with classes also offered in Spanish and Haitian Creole.
- Educational Information/Assistance: Explore educational opportunities and find information about Florida’s public and private schools, colleges, universities and technical schools. Take practice tests for SAT, ACT, civil service exams and more. Take free courses with Universal Class, an online educational service providing classes to improve personal development and employability.
Live Job Coaching and Résumé Assistance Online!
- Get free, live online resume writing help and job coaching from Broward eTutor. Use your Broward County Library card (required) to access Job Now!, which provides online assistance for winning résumés, free live online job coaching and well employment resources for general jobs, veterans and first-time job seekers.
- Thinking of a change? Try Career Transitions, a complete, guided, self-paced application that lets users assess strengths and interests, explore new opportunities and improve chances of getting a job. Clear and concise information about career paths, industries, economies and companies is organized around simple-to-navigate portals that combine overviews with statistical information and Web tools to help make well-planned career choices.
- Explore your employment options at Career Overview and get career Information, educational requirements, job descriptions and job search resources. The site is
- Looking for the next great career? Search the online Occupational Outlook Handbook, a guide that covers hundreds of occupations and describe what they do, the work environment, pay and more. Each profile also includes United States Bureau of Labor Statistics’ employment projections for the 2010–20 decade.
Classes and Workshops
Free résumé assistance and mock interviews are available at West Regional Library every Monday from 12:30 to 1:30 p.m. and Wednesday from 12:30 to 2:30 p.m. Get help crafting the right résumé for you and practice interview questions and techniques. Call 954-765-1560 for information.
Broward County Libraries also offers computer classes in résumé writing and online job searching. The classes are free and open to the public; basic computer knowledge is required.
- August 28 – Your Résumé, 2 to 4 p.m., Hollywood Library, 954-357-7760
- August 29 – The Job Search Online, 10:30 a.m. to 12 noon, Northwest Regional Library, 954-357-7990
- September 5 – Résumé Writing, 1 to 2:30 p.m., African-American Research Library and Cultural Center, 954-367-6282
- September 12 – Résumé Writing, 1 to 2:30 p.m., African-American Research Library and Cultural Center, 954-367-6282
- September 17 – Your Résumé, 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., North Regional/Broward College Library. Registration required; call 954-201-2600
- September 26 – Job Resources, 1 to 2 p.m., African-American Research Library and Cultural Center, 954-367-6282
One of the best ways to find work is through networking and meeting new people. However, finding places to do so can be challenging. Broward County Libraries offers numerous opportunities to meet with people from all over Broward. Join a book club or discussion group and attend cultural and educational events at the library – programs are free, located all over the county and are open to the public. Check out an upcoming list of all Broward County Library events.
Volunteering at Broward County Libraries is another way to not just network but add valuable skills and experience to your résumé. Volunteer to help someone read, join the Friends of the Library and help out your local library branch or join the Broward Public Library Foundation. Help the library, help yourself – it’s a win-win!