National Breast Cancer Awareness Month and Affordable Care Act Information @ Broward County Libraries
During October at Broward County Libraries (BCL), the emphasis is on health – especially breast cancer awareness – as locations from Hallandale to Coral Springs present programs, displays, information tables and more in an effort to educate and inform the community. After skin cancer, breast cancer is the most common cancer in women in the United States. According to recent estimates from the American Cancer Society, approximately 190,000 new cases of invasive breast cancer are expected to be diagnosed among women in the United States this year.
What can you do about breast cancer? If you’re a woman, learn all you can about the disease, its preventions and cures. The original goal of National Breast Cancer Awareness Month was to promote mammograms as an effective preventive tool against breast cancer, but it has also succeeded in raising awareness of the disease, its risks and prevention.
Broward County Library Breast Cancer Support/Wellness Fair
The Broward County Libraries Division (BCL) is one of 36 non-profit organizations, public health agencies and community groups in South Florida that have received funding this year from Susan G. Komen Miami/Ft. Lauderdale®. BCL’s goal is to increase breast cancer awareness through education and to provide the community with access to the resources needed to help save lives. The Libraries Division makes every effort to ensure that all people, in particular, statistically underserved residents are aware of breast cancer resources in the area.
A major event held annually is the Broward County Library Breast Cancer Support and Wellness Health Fair. The 6th Annual Health Fair will be held on Saturday, September 21, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., at the African-American Research Library and Cultural Center (AARLCC), 2650 Sistrunk Blvd, Fort Lauderdale. More than a dozen health-related informational tables will be at the fair. Attendees can find information and speak to health professionals about breast cancer resources and healthy lifestyles for the whole family including:
- “Genetics and The Link to Breast Cancer” will be presented by Maxine Chang Chin, ARNP, OCN, Cancer Risk Assessment Counselor for the Memorial Cancer Institute.
- Michelle J. Stewart, a Registered and Licensed Dietitian known as The Nutrition Planner, will discuss “Breast Cancer and Nutrition; is there a connection?”
- Yoga instructor Lynette Culp will present simple moves for the breast cancer survivor.
- The Memorial Women’s Imaging Mobile Mammography Service will be on site that day. Women are encouraged to make an appointment by calling 954-276-5595. The cost for the mammography screening is $99 for persons without insurance.
- The Community Blood Centers of Florida van will be accepting blood donations. All blood donors will receive a free wellness checkup including blood pressure, pulse, temperature, iron count, and cholesterol screening.
Other Breast Cancer Awareness Events at Broward County Libraries
October 5 - Community Health and Breast Cancer Awareness Fair: Informational Tables and On-site Mammo-van, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., Northwest Regional Library
October 8 - Lunch with the Doctor: Cheryl Moss-Mellman, M.D. and “Breast Cancer Screening - No Longer a One Size Fits All,” 12 to 1:30 p.m., North Regional/Broward College Library
October 8 - Exercise, Fitness and Nutrition for Teens Seminar, 4 to 5 p.m., Main Library
October 9 - Nutrition - A Step Ahead: Learn the nutritional steps to promote overall health and decrease your risks for breast cancer and other illnesses, 6 to 7:30 p.m., Northwest Regional Library
October 10 - Integrative Oncology: What is it and How You Can Benefit, with Amy Sea, noon to 1:30 p.m., Main Library
October 11 - I Love Yarn Day: Learn to knit or crochet hats for those battling cancer, all ages, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., Nova Southeastern Alvin Sherman University Library, Research, and Information Technology Center
October 17 - Genetics and the Link to Breast Cancer with Maxine Chang, ANRP, noon to 1:30 p.m., Main Library
October 24 - Breast Cancer Awareness Speaker: Dr. Reshma Mahtani, noon to 1:30 p.m., Main Library
October 31 - Breast Cancer Awareness Speaker, noon to 1:30 p.m., Main Library
Information Tables: Main Library, North Regional/Broward College Library, Northwest Regional Library
Displays: Hallandale Beach Library, Southwest Regional Library, Stirling Road Library
Free Workshops to Educate and Inform Community on the Affordable Care Act
Need information on your healthcare insurance options for 2014? Broward County Libraries will host a series of free Affordable Care Act workshops, presented by the national education offices of the League of Women Voters and AARP. Learn who is eligible, what it means as well as when and how to enroll. For more information about the Affordable Care Act visit www.healthcare.gov.
The workshops will run from October 2 through November 16 at Broward County Library locations throughout the county. Each includes a PowerPoint presentation, informational hand-outs and a Q&A session. All workshops are free and open to the public, and no registration is needed.
Affordable Care Act 101 – Workshop Dates and Locations
October 2 - 6 to 7 p.m., Hollywood Library
October 3 - 10:30 to 11:30 a.m., Sunrise Dan Pearl Library
October 5 - 11 a.m. to 12 noon, Lauderhill Towne Centre Library
October 7 - 1: 30 to 2: 30 p.m., Century Plaza/Leon Slatin Library
October 7 - 6:30 to 7:30 p.m., Northwest Regional Library
October 8 - 6:30 to 7:30 p.m., Miramar Branch Library and Education Center
October 9 - 6 to 7 p.m., African-American Research Library and Cultural Center
October 9 - 6 to 7 p.m., Carver Ranches Library
October 11 - 1 to 2 p.m., Pembroke Pines Library
October 14 - 6:30 to 7:30 p.m., Dania Beach Paul De Maio Library
October 15 - 6 to 7 p.m., Margate Catharine Young Library
October 17 - 11 a.m. to 12 noon, Lauderdale Lakes Library
October 17 - 6 to 7 p.m., Stirling Road Library
October 18 - 1 to 2 p.m., Main Library
October 19 - 2 to 3 p.m., South Regional/Broward College Library
October 21 - 6:30 to 7:30 p.m., Pompano Beach Library
October 22 - 6:30 to 7:30 p.m., Hallandale Beach Library
October 24 - 11 a.m. to noon, Lauderhill Mall Library
October 28 - 11 a.m. to noon, Tamarac Library
October 29 - 1 to 2 p.m., North Regional/Broward College Library
October 30 - 6 to 7 p.m., Southwest Regional Library
October 30 - 6:30 to 7:30 p.m., Imperial Point Library
November 2 - 3 to 4 p.m., Weston Library
November 6 - 10:30 to 11:30 a.m., West Regional Library
November 6 - 5:30 to 6:30 p.m., Northwest Branch Library
November 7 - 6:30 to 7:30 p.m., Deerfield Beach Percy White Library
November 9 - 1 to 2 p.m., Davie/Cooper City Library
November 13 - 6:30 to 7:30 p.m., Jan Moran Collier City Learning Library
November 14 - 6:30 to 7:30 p.m., Riverland Library
November 16 - 3 to 4 p.m., North Lauderdale Saraniero Library
Free Online Health Resources – Use Your Broward County Library Card to Access Them!
Find articles and information on health, medicine and wellness online from Broward County Libraries. While these free sources are no substitute for a doctor’s visit, they do offer up-to-date information from thousands of reputable sources:
- Health and Wellness Resource Center: Medical, health, and wellness information for the layperson taken from several medical encyclopedias, more than 400 medical journals, 22,200 general interest publications, and hundreds of pamphlets. New and updated material is added quarterly; new periodical and newspaper articles are added daily. Coverage: 1980 - current.
- Health Reference Center Academic: More than 1,000 full text nursing and allied health journals plus a variety of personal health information sources from Health & Wellness Resource Center are contained in this academic-oriented database. Coverage: 1980 - current.
- MedlinePlus: Contains links to Web resources with health information on more than 740 topics selected by the National Library of Medicine, a part of the National Institutes of Health. Includes extensive information about drugs, an illustrated medical encyclopedia, interactive patient tutorials, and the latest health news. Coverage: Varies by content on each web resource, beginning 2002 - current. Updated: Varies by web site from every 30 days to annually.
- Salem Online Health: Online companion to Magill's Medical Guide, an authoritative source that helps bridge the gap between medical encyclopedias for professionals and popular self-help guides. Content includes more than 1,000 articles, hundreds of photographs, and a special "In the News" section that displays recent media stories about ongoing medical research and experimental treatments.