Children & Teens (Youth) Programs | Adult Programs
Youth Summer R.E.A.D.ing Program 2014
Spark a reaction this summer at Broward County Library’s Teen Summer R.E.A.D.ing (Reading, Exploring, Art, Discovery) Program. This year, the emphasis is on reading and STEM – science, technology, engineering and math – with a host of great, fun events for teens and young adults. The Summer R.E.A.D.ing Program kicks off June 7, 2014 at 33 Broward County Library locations. Register for the Summer R.E.A.D.ing Program and enter to win free prizes, too!
The 2014 Summer R.E.A.D.ing Program is a fun-filled way to have a good time, make new friends, try new things and keep up with required summer reading – all while earning rewards and winning prizes. You can pick up a free copy of the 2014 Summer R.E.A.D.ing Program guide, which lists all the summer’s events, at any Broward County Library, download the booklet for free. The Summer R.E.A.D.ing Program is sponsored by the Broward Public Library Foundation, Miami Dolphins Foundation, Broward Family Life, CBS Miami and WPBT Channel 2.
Summer R.E.A.D.ing Program – Featured Events for Teens
Here’s a small selection of what’s in store for teens this summer at your library! For more programs, events and classes, download the Children and Teens Summer R.E.A.D.ing Program booklet or view the Live Calendar!
- African-American Research Library & Cultural Center: June 12, 19 and July 3, 17, 31 - Terrific Teen Thursday with LEGOs & Stuff, make simple or complex creations with LEGO blocks and other materials! 2 to 3 p.m.
- Dania Beach Paul DeMaio Library: July 19 - Teen Talk, 2 to 3 p.m.
- Davie/Cooper City Library: June 9 - Teen Mummy Creation: Create an enormous papier-mâché mummy, ages 12-18, 3 to 4 p.m.; June 21 - Teen Drumming: Interactive program encourages teamwork and self-confidence while having fun with friends, ages 12-18, 12 noon to 12:45 p.m. Pre-registration required.
- Hollywood Library: June 10 - Auditions for the 2014 Teen Talent Show: Spark a reaction and show off your unique talent by competing on the Summer Stars Teen Talent Show. $100, $75 and $50 prizes. Ages 12-18, 4 to 6 p.m.
- Jan Moran Collier City Learning Library: June 11 - Teen Mathematicians: Discover Fibonacci’s Secret Code! Ages 12 and up, 5 to 6 p.m.; July 10 - Teen Scientists: Science Experiments: Electricity, Bells, Buzzers, and Beamz by Flo! Ages 12 and up, 2 to 4 p.m.
- Lauderdale Lakes Library/Educational and Cultural Center: June 18 - Fizz Boom! “Let the Beat Rock” Teens come join in on the fun as we teach the basics of Virtual DJing! Ages 12-17, 2 to 3 p.m.
- Lauderhill Towne Centre Library: June 18, 25 and July 2, 9, 16, 23, 30 - Code Fever! Computer Programming, ages 11-18, pre-register, 3 to 5 p.m.; July 5, 19, 26 - Pizza Saturday, youth up to age 18 welcome, 2:30 to 3:30 p.m.
- Main Library: June 17 - Catching Fire Art Activity with Barbara Freiberg, ages 13-18, 4:30 to 5:30 p.m.; July 28 - Rockin’ Reaction! Hands-on Experiments by the Dennis Project, ages 13-18, 4 to 5 p.m.
- Miramar Library and Education Center: June 12 - Teen and Tween Arm Knitting, ages 10 and up, 3 to 4 p.m.
- North Lauderdale Saraniero Library: June 28 - Create Art with a “POP!” Ages 12-17, 2 to 4 p.m. Pre-registration required.
- North Regional/Broward College Library: June 11, 18, 25 and July 2, 9, 16, 23, 30 - TeenZone - Spark a Reaction: Enjoy eight weeks of teen makerspace and DIY workshops featuring robotics, fashion design, culinary, arts & crafts projects, teen flicks, gaming, prizes & more, ages 12-18, 4 to 5:30 p.m.
- Northwest Branch Library: July 2, 9, 16, 23, 30 - Teens Rockin’ Discover Program, 6 to 7 p.m.
- Northwest Regional Library: June 16, 17, 18, 19 - Teen Computer Animation, ages 12-18. 1 to 3 p.m. and July 16 - Teen Self-Defense. Learn physical and verbal self-defense, ages 12-18, 4 to 5:30 p.m.
- Nova Southeastern University Alvin Sherman Library, Research and Information Technology Center: June 12 - Edible Science: Bring popular science concepts to life as tasty snacks & enjoy your creations! Call 954-262-5477 to register starting one week prior to program date, ages 13-18, 5:30 to 6:30 p.m.; July 15 - Coding Crash Course: Gain hands-on experience with web coding in this two-part course with NSU Web Librarian Michael Schofield. Call 954-262-5477 to register starting one week prior to program date, ages 13-18, 2 to 4 p.m., 2nd floor, Lab B.
- Pembroke Pines/Walter C. Young Resource Center: July 21, 28 - The Art of Recycled-Repurposed-Upcycled: Create a work of art with ArtCenter South Florida artist Rosa Naday Garmendia using discarded trash, ages 10 and up, adults welcome, 6 to 7:30 p.m. Pre-register.
- Pompano Beach Library: June 18 - Art Stucks! Ages 12-18, Create a useful and fun phone case, iPod case or wallet from duct tape, 2 to 3 p.m.; July 9 - Make Your Own Instrument, Part I: Create your own instrument out of recyclable materials, ages 12-18, 2 to 3:30 p.m.
- Riverland Library: June 14, 21, 28 - Teen’s Game Club. The game club of the Riverland Library is a free, community-based gathering with the purpose of playing games. Membership is free and walk-ins are welcome, ages 10-18, 4:30 to 5:45 p.m.
- South Regional/Broward College Library: June 7 and July 5 - Gaming Arcade, ages 12-18, 2 to 3 p.m.
- Southwest Regional Library: June 11 - Spark your detective skills! See materials/methods used by Broward County professionals. Middle school and up, 4 to 5:30 p.m.; June 19 - Spark your appetite! Breakfast & Book Buffet: Make food to eat while talking about great summer reads. Middle/high school students, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Stirling Road Library: June 24 - All Things Oz & Potter: An Intergenerational Book Discussion with caricature artist Wendy Reingold, 5 to 7 p.m.; July 24 - Glam Rocks: Teen Craft and Karaoke, 2:30 to 4 p.m.
- Sunrise Dan Pearl Library: June 25 - Teen Craft: Make a Native American dream catcher, ages 10-18, 6:30 to 7:30 p.m.; July 16 - Teens: Learn macramé basics, ages 10-18, 6:30 to 7:30 p.m.
- Tamarac Library: June 17 - Rockin’ Rockets with Science Eye, ages 10-15, 3 to 4 p.m. Pre-register beginning June 7; July 15 - Forensics Fun: Become a Crime Scene Investigator for Teens, ages 12-18, 6 to 7 p.m. Pre-register Beginning July 1st. Space is Limited.
- West Regional Library: June 10 - Teen Sunset Cinema & Book Swap Kickoff! Start the summer with a great movie along with our popular Book Swap (bring a book/swap a book). Refreshments provided. Raffle prizes. Ages 12-18, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.; July 21 - BookChat Book Club: Join us for books, food and random talking. Ages 14-18, entering or in high school, 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Required registration begins on June 24.
- Weston Library: June 26 - Babysitting Class: Learn about babysitting from a registered nurse. A newborn-sized doll or teddy bear must be brought to class, ages 11-15, 2 to 4 p.m. Pre-registration required: 954-357-5430.
Adult Summer R.E.A.D.ing Program 2014
“Literary Elements” is the theme for this year’s Adult Summer R.E.A.D.ing (Reading, Exploration, Art, Discovery) Program and Broward County Library is offering a summer’s worth of fun for all ages. Summer reading isn’t just for kids. Life in South Florida slows down when the mercury rises and the rains begin, making summer the perfect time to kick back and catch up on all the books you’ve been too busy to read.
Ready to read? Visit your local Broward County Library location to stock up on free books, audiobooks, CDs and DVDs. For maximum convenience, download free eBooks from BCL WoW – Broward County Library Without Walls, where you can select from thousands of titles in every genre and access them at no cost. During the Adult Summer R.E.A.D.ing Program, anyone can register for the program and be entered into a drawing for a new eReader at the end of the summer.
Summer Reading Program Events
Take time for you this summer with, fun and free Summer Reading Program events for adults. This year, 23 libraries throughout Broward County will be participating with events that range from the informative to the entertaining. Explore literary elements with other readers, enjoy new and favorite titles and check out free, fun programs that include book talks, fun and games, and crafts. There are also movies, exhibits, fitness classes, music and more, all free and all at Broward County Library. You can get details about these events by downloading the Adult Summer R.E.A.D.ing Program booklet or at these BCL locations:
African-American Research Library and Cultural Center
Davie/Cooper City Library
Deerfield Beach Percy White Library
Hallandale Beach Branch Library
Imperial Point Branch Library
Jan Moran Collier City Branch Library
Lauderhill Towne Centre Branch Library
Margate Catharine Young Library
Miramar Branch Library and Education Center
North Regional/Broward College Library
Northwest Branch Library
Northwest Regional Library
Nova Southeastern University Alvin Sherman Library, Research, and Information Technology Center
Pembroke Pines/Walter C. Young Resource Center
Pompano Beach Library
South Regional/Broward College Library
Southwest Regional Library
Tamarac Branch Library
Tyrone Bryant Branch Library
West Regional Library