November 26, 2014
The Hour of Code is Coming!
Students of all ages are invited to participate in the Hour of Code.
Students of all ages are invited to join this global movement and take a one-hour class in computer coding – it’s free at your Broward County Library!
The Hour of Code is an introductory class for learners of all ages – from children to seniors. It is designed to demystify coding and show that anyone can learn the basics. Held in celebration of Computer Science Education Week (December 8-14, 2014), its goal is for tens of millions of students to try an Hour of Code in more than 180 countries.
Last year, 15 million students worldwide participated. This year, join them in one of the free, fun Hour of Code events listed below!
Hour of Code Events
- December 8 - Hour of Code: Learn computer programming concepts, 6:30 to 7:30 p.m., Pompano Beach Library
- December 10 - Hour of Code Class, 3 to 4 p.m., Main Library
- December 10 - Hour of Code: One-hour introduction to computer programming. Learn the basics and be a maker, a creator an innovator. No experience necessary, 6 to 7 p.m., Miramar Branch Library & Education Center
- December 11, 18 - Learn Basic Computer Coding, ages 10 and up, limited space; preregister: 954-357-6209, 4 to 5:30 p.m., African-American Research Library and Cultural Center
Free Classes from Broward County Library Teach the Basics of Downloading Books, Movies, Music and More!
Digital Download Classes
December 2 - Free Music Downloads Using Freegal, 3 to 4 p.m., Main Library
Take the library anywhere you want with downloadable materials from BCL.
- December 2 - Teen Tech Tuesday: Learn the specifics of apps on both Android and iOS devices, 6 to 7 p.m., Lauderdale Lakes Library
- December 4, 11, 18 - eReader Open House, 10:30 a.m. to Noon, North Regional/Broward College Library
- December 4, 11, 18 - Digital Downloads: Make an appointment to learn how to download free eBooks, eAudiobooks, eMagazines, music and movies, 4 to 5 p.m., Lauderhill Towne Centre Library
- December 6, 20 - Try Your Hand at iPad, 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Miramar Branch Library & Education Center
- December 11 - Digital Download Information Session: Learn how to download digital library materials, 12:30 to 1:30 p.m., Deerfield Beach Percy White Library
- December 13 -“Digi Know?” Digital Resources at Broward County Library! Learn how to access eBooks, eMagazines, eMusic, online language instruction and more, 10:30 to 11:30 a.m., Miramar Branch Library & Education Center
- December 17 - eBooks for your tablet or Kindle, 6:30 to 7:45 p.m., Pompano Beach Library
- December 17 - Learn How to Download eBooks, 3 to 4 p.m., Main Library
The new OverDrive Media Station, located on the second floor of Main Library.
OverDrive Media Station Offers Even More Access to eBooks
Visit Main Library and check out the new OverDrive Media Station, a freestanding kiosk located on the second floor that allows you to explore BCL’s digital collection while at the library and become familiar with downloading free eBooks from the library. Browse the digital collection, sample titles and send those titles to any device for checkout via text message (SMS), email or QR code. At the Media Console, you can browse the top 100 most popular library titles, titles recently added to BCL’s collection, titles for children and teens, and collections of titles by subject or language. Use the onscreen keyboard to filter results quickly and easily.
Welcome Back to Main Library! Grand Reopening on Saturday, December 13
The Broward County Libraries Division invites you to the grand reopening of the Broward County Main Library on Saturday, December 13, 2014 from 9:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. The free celebration will include entertainment and activities for all ages. Children can meet their favorite storybook characters. The Creation Station team will highlight some of the many technologies that are available at the library including demonstrations of small personal robots and the opportunity to try them out. Every public floor will have staff showcasing what their library section offers.
The Main Library opened on April 29, 1984. Funded by a public improvements bond issue, the building was designed by architect Robert F. Gatje, of Marcel Breuer Associates, New York, in association with Jordan A. Miller, of Miller Meier Architects and Associates, Fort Lauderdale. In January 2014, the Main Library received a landmark designation for its exterior as well as parts of the interior from the City of Fort Lauderdale due to its architectural significance.
During the past three years, the Main Library has undergone a series of renovations to maintain building integrity, including replacement of elevators, roof, wall and ceiling tiles, and air conditioning equipment. In addition, several areas of the eight-story facility, including the computer labs, were remodeled to accommodate new technology and meet the changing needs of residents.
Schedule – Main Library Grand Reopening on December 13, 2014
Mistress of Ceremonies - Broward County Library Director Skye Patrick
- Welcome Back to the Main Library Ribbon-Cutting Ceremony – 9:30 a.m. to 10 a.m.
- Lion Dance – 10:00 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.
- Holiday Open House with light refreshments – 10:30 am to 11:30 a.m.
- Broward Women's Chorus: Songs for the Holidays – 11 a.m. to Noon
- Quick Draw/Paint Out – 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Teen Spoken Word Poetry presented by the Omari Hardwick bluapple Poetry network – 1 to 2 p.m.
- Gold Coast Banjo Band: The Happy Sounds of Banjo Music – 2 to 3 p.m.
- Magic with Dave Kaplan – 5:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Face Painting with Marcela – 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Storybook Characters – 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Friends of the Fort Lauderdale Libraries Jewelry Fair – Noon to 3 p.m.
- Grant Livingston on the guitar – 2:30 to 4:30 p.m.
- Creation Station Demonstrations – all day
- Flash Mob – It’s a surprise!
- The Courage To Remember Holocaust Exhibit – gallery six
- Moon Rock Display
- The Amazing Vojtěch Kubašta: A Showcase of His Pop-up and Illustrated Children's Books – Bienes Museum
- Bob Nathanson presents The Tortoise and the Hare with his Puppets To Go – 11 a.m. to Noon
- Author and Editor Tom Swick will discuss the book The Best American Travel Writing 2014 – Noon to 1 p.m.
- Learn the best resources for financial planning from nationally respected Certified Financial Planner™ and radio show On the Money! host Steven Pomeranz, the “Investor's Advocate” – 3 to 4 p.m.