September 16, 2014
Celebrating National Arts and Humanities Month @Broward County Library
The arts touch our lives every day, but during the month of October, Broward County Libraries (BCL) will participate in National Arts and Humanities Month. Designed to raise awareness of the arts and culture in our community and beyond, National Arts and Humanities Month, the largest annual celebration for the arts and humanities in the nation, will be commemorated with music appreciation programs, an art class and performance/writing workshop, all free and open to the public. National Arts & Humanities Events
- September 20 - Classical Music Appreciation with Walter Ladden, 2 to 3:30 p.m., West Regional Library
- September 23, 30 - Classical Music Appreciation with Walter Ladden, 10:30 a.m. to 12 p.m., 9/23: Mozart 9/30: Beethoven, North Regional/Broward College Library
- October 4 - Classical Music Appreciation with Walter Ladden, 2 to 3:30 p.m., West Regional Library
- October 7, 14 - Classical Music Appreciation with Walter Ladden, 10/7: Mendelssohn 10/14: Brahms 10:30 a.m. to 12 p.m., North Regional/Broward College Library
- October 11 - Water Color Pencil Drawing; Still Life, 1 to 2:30 p.m., Northwest Regional Library
- October 13 - Performance Workshop on the Galt, join our acting group, 2 to 3 p.m., Galt Ocean Mile Reading Center
- October 21 - Reading and Discussion of Acts of Faith: The Story of an American Muslim in the Struggle for the Soul of a Generation by Eboo Patel, 1 to 2 p.m., Nova Southeastern University Alvin Sherman Library, Research and Information Technology Center
- October 23 - Novel Writing Month Kickoff, 2 to 3:30 p.m., Nova Southeastern University Alvin Sherman Library, Research and Information Technology Center
Exhibits: Broward County’s Playground and Tourist Attractions of the Past, Main Library
The Arts to Go: Download Free Music and Movies from Broward County Library
Access free digital music downloads from BCL via Freegal Music, which offers free access to songs from Sony Music’s catalog of current and classic artists. Download up to 6 songs per week. Once downloaded, they never expire, time-out or disappear! Just log on to the service with your library card number and PIN (the last 4 digits of your phone number). Download a few tunes today and take them with you on your phone or portable music player.
IndieFlix gives Broward County Library customers access to thousands of independent movies from around the world streamed instantly over the Internet including shorts, documentaries and feature films from worldwide film festivals. Users can watch on your Xbox, PC, Mac, Smartphone, Tablet and Roku.
Broward County Main Library Announces
New Saturday Hours
Additional hours also added to Main Library's
"Creation Station" community makerspace
Broward County Main Library will now be open on Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. for customers seeking weekend library service in downtown Fort Lauderdale. Signs are posted at the entrances to Main Library to notify customers of the change in operation.
The Main Library's hours are as follows:
Monday, Thursday and Friday: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Tuesday and Wednesday: 12 noon to 8 p.m.
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. (NEW)
Additionally, the Creation Station
at Main Library will also now offer extended hours. The Main Library Creation Station makerspace is a community center with tools that enable individuals to design, prototype and make 3D items. Makerspaces often include tools and equipment too expensive or specialized for most people to own, as well as provide a gathering place for like-minded hobbyists to create and collaborate.
The new, extended Creation Station Hours are as follows:
Monday and Thursday: 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Tuesday and Wednesday: 1 to 7 p.m.
Friday and Saturday: 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.