January 20, 2015
Fun from Around the Globe:
Take a Trip to China, Brazil or Jamaica – Without Leaving Broward!
There’s a whole lot of international fun going on at Broward County Library this February! We’re celebrating both Brazilian Cultural Month and the Chinese New Year as well as hosting the first Destination Friday event of 2015, which will transport guests to the tropical paradise of Jamaica.
Two events are scheduled to honor Brazilian Culture Month; learn about Brazilian classical composers or enjoy music and dance from the country. The Chinese Performing Arts Group will usher in the 2015 Chinese New Year with an exciting show at the Pembroke Pines Library. These events are free and open to the public:
February 19, 2015 is the start of the next Chinese New Year.
- February 10 - Music Appreciation with Walter Ladden: Classical composers from Brazil, Spain and Mexico Spanish, 10:30 a.m. to Noon, North Regional/Broward College Library
- February 21 - Culture in the Pines in partnership with Broward 100 Celebration of the Arts present NEGO GATO African/Brazilian Music and Dance Ensemble, 2 to 4 p.m.,
South Regional/Broward College Library
- February 23 - Celebrate Chinese New Year with the Chinese Performing Arts Group, 6:30 to 7:30 p.m., Pembroke Pines Library
Destination Fridays – Jamaica!
Following a successful first year of Destination Fridays events, Broward County Library is once again providing a cultural playground for adults over 21 at the African-American Research Library and Cultural Center (AARLCC). The fun takes place on six designated Fridays in February, March, April, May, September and November.
Jamaica is the first Destination Fridays event of the year on February 6, 2015 from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. “We’re jammin’!” says Elaina Norlin, Regional Library Manager. “Come celebrate Bob Marley's 70th birthday with us and embrace the spirit of Jamaica. We will have party hats and a birthday cake, and not to be missed . . . a Bob Marley Lip Sync Smackdown among our guests—with a grand prize to the winner."
During this festive evening, experience a taste of Jamaica with authentic food, wine, and a “Bob Marley Rum Punch” (while supplies last). Dance to the reggae music of a live band. Photos of Jamaica by artist David Muir will be exhibited in the gallery and prizes will be given away.
Come dressed in the colors of the Jamaican flag, "black depicting the strength and creativity of the people; gold, the natural wealth and beauty of sunlight; and green, hope and agricultural resources." Or dress to chill in a Bob Marley t-shirt and jeans.
Learn more about this event at Broward.org/Library. You can order your tickets online or pay $10 in cash or by card at the door. This is an after-hours event for ages 21-plus.
Sponsored by the Friends of the African-American Research Library and Cultural Center, Pieces of Jamaica, The Fresh Market, CP Enterprises, Post Haste Travel and Jamaica Home of All Right.
Upcoming Destination Fridays events:
- March 6 - Argentina
- April 10 - Trinidad
- May 8 - Cinco de Mayo
- September 4 - Hawaii
- November 6 - The Bahamas
Louder than a Library:
A Spoken Word Explosion
Poetry Workshops & Performances for Teens and Adults
Join us on a journey of self-expression in this free, four-part series. Learn writing technique and explore the art of performing spoken word poetry. Participants are asked to attend all four sessions, and compete in a semi-final poetry slam. A countywide Poetry Slam will be held at the African American-Research Library and Cultural Center on Saturday, April 4.
Louder than a Library Kick-off Dates (for ages 12-18)
- February 3 - 5 to 7 p.m., Tamarac Library
- February 5 - 3 to 5 p.m., Lauderhill Towne Centre Library
- February 10 - 4 to 6 p.m., North Lauderdale Saraniero Library
- February 11 - 4 to 6 p.m., Pembroke Pines Library
- February 12 - 4 to 6 p.m., Southwest Regional Library
- February 14 - 2 to 4 p.m., South Regional/Broward College Library
- February 16 - 5:30 to 7:30 p.m., Davie/Cooper City Library
- February 21 - 2 to 4 p.m., African-American Research Library and Cultural Center
- February 21 - 2 to 4 p.m., Pompano Beach Library
- February 23 - 5:30 to 7:30 p.m., North Regional/Broward College Library
Louder than a Library Kick-off Dates (Adults)