Special Handcycle Bicycles
Two special handcycles are now available for free use on a first-come, first-served basis at Central Broward Regional Park & Stadium. The handcycles - one recumbent, one upright - may be checked out by any person age 18 or older with a physical disability. The weight limits are 250 pounds for the recumbent handcycle and 350 pounds for the upright one. Each handcycle may be checked out for one hour at a time, although park staff may extend this time frame as they deem appropriate. The handcycles are for independent use, and assistance with transfers and adjustments to the devices will not be provided by park staff.
Hours of use are daily from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., with the last checkout of the day being at 4 p.m. Users must read and sign the Handcycle Usage Release, Indemnity, and Waiver of Liability and receive a copy of the User Guidelines prior to taking possession of a handcycle. Users must leave a valid driver’s license or state-issued identification card as a deposit, to be returned upon return of the handcycle and any accessories, to the same location and in the same condition in which they were checked out.
Other guidelines also apply:
• A helmet must be worn at all times; helmets are available upon request.
• The seat positioning strap is to be used at all times.
• Operation of the handcycle is subject to all traffic rules and regulations.
• Handcycle is for independent use within the park and cannot be taken off the park property.
• Operator’s Manual is available for review.
• Tools will be provided for basic adjustments to handcycle
• Quad grips are available upon request.
For further information, call the park at 954-357-5400.