The chainsaws used to clear debris after hurricanes are capable of causing serious injuries. To avoid harm, follow these simple directions:
- ALWAYS keep both hands on the chainsaw handles.
- Cut only on the right side of your body.
- Cut below your head. Never cut over your head.
- Cut with the lower edge of the saw blade whenever possible. Cutting with the tip of the saw is inviting injury.
- Watch out when cutting limbs or branches that are bent. They may snap back and hit you.
- Let the chainsaw do the work. Don't try to force the saw.
- Wear protective clothing: hard hat, goggles, safety shoes, gloves, and trim-fitting clothes.