Friends of Anne Kolb Nature Center
c/o Anne Kolb Nature Center
751 Sheridan St.
Hollywood, FL 33019
954-357-5161 • Fax: 954-357-5163
Meets the first Thursday of the month at 7 p.m. in the nature center’s Mangrove Hall.
- To protect, foster, and advance the unique ecology of South Florida environments through nature-oriented activities such as field studies, nature walks, workshops, and other projects.
- To assist with special projects designed to inform the public of the environmental and ecological processes of the South Florida coast in general and mangrove wetlands in particular.
- To increase public awareness of threatened and endangered species and the need for solutions to pollution and other environmental degradation.
- To assist with visitor relations, newsletter writing, and general office work.
- To operate fundraising activities for the benefit of the nature center.
Find Us: Facebook.com/FriendsOfAnneKolb
Follow Us: Twitter.com/FriendsOfAKNC
Email Us: FriendsOfAKNC@gmail.com
Friends of Deerfield Island Park
P.O. Box 656
Deerfield Beach, FL 33443
954-357-5113 • Fax: 954-357-5101
Meets the second Tuesday of the month at 2 p.m. in the Hillsboro Cove Clubhouse.
- To advocate for and support this green "urban wilderness."
- To encourage volunteerism.
- To oppose any threat of destruction not beneficial to the island.
- To support and protect this gopher tortoise refuge.
- To raise funds to attain our goals.
- To make the park an important community resource.
Find Us: FriendsOfDIP.org
Follow Us: Facebook.com/FriendsOfDIP
Email Us: Info@FriendsOfDIP.org
c/o Fern Forest Nature Center
201 Lyons Rd. South
Coconut Creek, FL 33063
954-357-5198 • Fax: 954-357-5295
Meets regularly in the nature center’s Royal Fern Hall.
- To express our enthusiasm for the natural area that is Fern Forest, as well as South Florida's environmental and ecological concerns.
- To educate the public through interpretive walks, educational programs, lectures, activities, and events.
- To operate various fundraising activities, volunteer for special events benefiting the nature center, and share our curiosity for nature.
Find Us: Facebook.com/FernAllies
Email Us: FernForest@Broward.org
Friends of Secret Woods Nature Center
c/o Secret Woods Nature Center
2701 W. State Rd. 84
Dania Beach, FL 33312
954-357-8884 • Fax: 954-357-8885
Meets regularly in the nature center’s Julia Hall.
- To inform the public of the environmental and ecological processes of South Florida through interpretive walks, public programs, and other means.
- To assist with the editing and distribution of the electronic Secret Woods newsletter.
- To offer nature-related or recyclable items to the public for a small donation.
- To operate fundraising activities for the benefit of Secret Woods.
- To assist with general office work and projects benefiting Secret Woods.
- To assist with the physical upkeep of the grounds, including, but not limited to, removing non-natives and invasives, planting natives, and maintaining trails.
Email Us: KayBTaylor@yahoo.com
Tradewinds Farm Hands
c/o Tradewinds Park & Stables
3600 W. Sample Rd.
Coconut Creek, FL 33073
Meets the third Monday of the month at 7 p.m. in the park office.
- Agricultural education
- Barnyard assistance
- General store/information desk aid
- Office/special event aid
- Stable-hand assistance
Email Us: TWFarmTours@gmail.com
Florida Master Gardeners of Broward County Inc.
c/o UF-IFAS/Broward County Extension Education
Parks and Recreation Division
Tree Tops Park
3900 S.W. 100th Ave.
Davie, FL 33328-1705
Meets the first Tuesday of the month at 7 p.m. in the Fountain Room at Plantation Heritage Park,
1100 S. Fig Tree Lane, Plantation 33317. The public is welcome to attend.
Florida Master Gardeners of Broward County Inc. is a nonprofit research-based organization established to promote environmental public education. We aim to provide logistical and other support to facilitate Master Gardeners' service to the community through lectures on Florida-Friendly Landscaping and Integrated Pest Management, by working to improve continuing education for the Master Gardeners and affording them more and better opportunities for mutually rewarding volunteer experiences at our county, state, and municipal parks, libraries, community centers, and other sites. We also work with the Extension Urban Horticulture Program to improve training and mentoring, thus increasing the relevance of the program to the community, to Florida Yards & Neighborhoods With NatureScape, and to a host of other activities.
Email Us: MasterGardener@Broward.org
Have questions about irrigation, garden pests, fertilizers, wildlife, beneficial insects, mulching, growing vegetables, or identification of mystery plants in your landscape? Our highly trained team of Florida Master Gardener volunteers can help. Email your photos and questions for assistance and information or to get the phone number, address, and hours of the Master Gardener Public Service Center nearest you - it's free.
About Florida Master Gardeners
The Florida Master Gardener Program is a volunteer-driven program that benefits UF-IFAS/Broward County Extension Education, the Parks and Recreation Division, and Broward County residents. The program relies on dedicated volunteers who have an interest in gardening and in giving back to their communities. Master Gardeners undergo 130 hours of intensive training, including lectures, labs, and field trips. Students also receive course handouts, books, identification decks, and other diagnostic tools. There are currently more than 200 Master Gardeners from 28 Broward municipalities. They are assisted by local Master Gardener coordinators who schedule volunteer events and provide educational programs in each municipality.