The Friends of Secret Woods Nature Center organization was created and incorporated in July of 1984. The earliest record of its non-profit organizational status (501c3) is dated March 2001. The Friends have taken an active role in educational programming and support of the nature center.
During fiscal year 2009, volunteers performed 901 hours during special events, educational programs, animal care, responding to customers, and ecoaction workdays.
Volunteers create and conduct many of our programs and special events throughout the year. This past year, they offered the watercolor workshops, nature photography workshops, ethnobotany walks, crafting classes, critter encouters, and school and camp group educational programs. These special events occured because the volunteers were on hand to assist: Snowflake Fun for Everyone, Native Plant Sale, Insectigations, Bountiful Butterflies, Recycling Rodeo, EcoArts Craft Fair, and Along Came a Spider.
The goals from the bylaws of the Friends of Secet Woods are:
- To inform the public of the environmental and ecological processes of South Florida through interpretive walks, public programs, and other means.
- To assist with the editing and distribution of the electronic Secret Woods newsletter.
- To offer nature-related or recyclable items to the public for a small donation.
- To operate fundraising activities for the benefit of Secret Woods.
- To assist with general office work and projects benefitting Secret Woods.
- To assist with the physical upkeep of the grounds, including, but not limited to, removing non-natives and invasives, planting natives, and trail maintenance
ARTICLE III: MEMBERSHIP
Section 1. Qualifications for Membership
Any person is welcome who wishes to support the goals of Secret Woods. All volunteers must complete a Broward County Volunteer application and be approved by Broward County. A current member is defined as one who volunteers a minimum of 1.0 hour every 365 days.
Section 2. Dues
There are no dues.
Volunteer information contacts:
Secret Woods contact: 954-357-8884 ext. 3 or e-mail.
Friends of Secret Woods e-mail contact.