Our Contractor Licensing & Enforcement (CLE) Section issues construction industry and tree trimmer licenses; we also regulate those licensees, including:
- Residential Building Contractors
- Specialty Contractors
Our authority is limited to initiating administrative disciplinary action against the license of a Broward County contractor who has violated a law, ordinance and/or the Florida Building Code.
We have no authority to:
- Make a contractor perform corrective work
- Make a contractor pay damages
- Impose the settlement of contract or other civil disputes
These actions are the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts or the arbitration process.
If your complaint involves workmanship issues, we cannot open a formal investigation unless:
- The contractor has been cited by a local building code enforcement official for a violation of the Florida Building Code.
- You have a report from a Florida-registered engineer certifying that a construction defect constitutes a violation of the Florida Building Code
Florida law requires builders and remodelers to warrant their work for varying lengths of time; your contract may also contain a specific warranty for the work. If you have a complaint about a warranty issue which a builder or remodeler has not resolved, you can use the Consumer Complaint Form to file a general consumer complaint.
File Your Complaint
Complaints against a contractor or tree trimmer who is licensed by Broward County must be submitted in writing on the Contractor/Tree Trimmer Complaint Form. Please provide details of the dispute and as many facts as possible. In addition, explain what you want the contractor to do to resolve your complaint. Attach copies of any documents that support your complaint, such as:
- Contracts or purchase agreements
- Cancelled checks
- Municipal inspection/correction notices
- Mechanic’s lien statements.
Because your signature on the complaint form must be notarized, you must submit your complaint by mail or in person. Please mail your written complaint to:
Environmental Licensing and Building Permitting Division
Contractor Investigations and Enforcement Unit
1 N. University Dr. Box #302
Plantation, FL 33324
For contractors licensed by the state of Florida, complaints should be addressed to:
Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation
1940 N. Monroe St.
Tallahassee, FL 32399
Contractor Restitution Fund
A homeowner who files a civil (legal) action against a Broward County licensed contractor and obtains a judgment based on the contractor's failure of performance is eligible to file a claim for compensation through the Broward County Contractor Restitution Trust Fund program. The term “failure of performance” includes:
- A breach of the contract warranty
- A fraudulent, deceptive or dishonest practice
- A conversion of funds
The Contractor Restitution Trust Fund is administered by the Broward County Central Examining Boards.
Required Plug-ins: Adobe® Reader®