Conservation and Climate Change C3 Challenge
Resources for C3 Challenge:
Point Scale (Word-102KB)
The Conservation and Climate Change Challenge (C3 Challenge) is an educational competition intended to educate schools on renewable energy and practical actions to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions. Through improved energy efficiency and the use of renewable energy, participants will learn how simple actions, taken together, can create a climate of change. All educational activities are aligned with Next Generation Sunshine State Standards and can be downloaded from the C3 Challenge (www.broward.org/PollutionPrevention/AirQuality/EducationalPrograms/Pages/C3.aspx
) website. The C3 Challenge will be held from January 13, 2014 - April 25, 2014. The 3 schools with the highest scores WIN! The score is determined by the highest percentage of participating science teachers, a Share your Story (by May 2, 2014), and an on-site evaluation. The 3 winners will be announced in May 2014. Prizes:
A Sustainable School Plaque
Recognition from the Broward County Board of County Commissioners
How the C3 Challenge Works?
Science Teachers/Coaches are encouraged to become the school’s “C3 Coach” and help recruit other science teachers to sign up and take the Challenge to educate students about renewable energy. The role of the C3 Coach is to oversee the Renewable Energy Promise Drive in the school and recruit other science teachers to participate in the Challenge. The C3 Coach is encouraged to use the activities provided within this toolkit to educate students on renewable energy. The C3 Challenge website includes guidelines on how to implement the Challenge, tips/resources, and other supporting materials.
Steps for Success for the C3 Challenge
Step 1: Kick off the Challenge…School Registration & Team Building
A science teacher/science Department Chair (C3 Coach) registers their school by e-mailing email@example.com
. This allows Broward County to establish a main liaison for each participating school in order to discuss competition progress, answer any questions, and share additional resources. The C3 Coach will also help build a team within their school by recruiting participants to take the C3 Challenge.
Step 2: Take the C3 Renewable Energy Promise (Mandatory)
Each teacher who accepts the C3 Challenge will need to take the Renewable Energy Promise
). The promise helps teachers educate students about actions they can take to reduce their carbon footprint at school and at home. This is a part of your total score.
Goals of the C3 Challenge:
- Educate students about climate change and actions to reduce their carbon footprint
- Reduce greenhouse gas emissions in schools and within the community
- Encourage student leadership and empowerment
- Foster a community of teachers/students working together to engage the community to reduce their carbon footprint and foster a new generation of environmental advocates.
The Challenge will be held from January 13, 2014-April 25, 2014. The C3 Coach should science teachers to participate by submitting the Renewable Energy Promise.
- January 13, 2014: C3 Challenge begins and C3 Coach registers the school
- January 13, 2014 - April 25, 2014: Schools implement the C3 Challenge (follow toolkit, implement projects, collect and/or enter promises) at their school.
- April 25, 2014: C3 Challenge concludes
- May 2, 2014: Deadline to submit your Share Your Story
- May 2014: Results of the Challenge are released
Questions about the C3 Challenge?
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 954-519-1260
Past Winners of the C3 Challenge
Microsoft Office Reader®