Skip navigation links
Air Quality
Contaminated Sites
Haz Mat
Storage Tanks
About Us
Skip navigation links
What is a Hazardous Material?
Who Needs a License?
How Do I Get a License?
Apply On-Line
Application for HM License
Renew License Online!
Division Services
Environmental Site Search
Inquiries about Property
Other Resources
More About Pollution Prevention
Best Management Practices
Do’s & Don’ts
Pollution Prevention at Home
Department Home
Division Home
Who Needs a License?
Broward County > Pollution Prevention > Haz Mat > Who Needs a License?

A Hazardous Materials facility is any site or area, excluding vehicles used solely for the transportation of people or property, where either of the following occurs:

- Any extremely hazardous substance in excess of the threshold planning quantity as defined by the most current version of the Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know Act (42 U.S.C. § 11001, et seq. is present.


- Within a one (1) month period of time, an aggregate amount of twenty-five (25) gallons or more or an equivalent dry volume** of hazardous materials are stored, handled, generated, used, processed, manufactured, disposed or are otherwise present.

**For any dry volume quantity of hazardous material in units of pounds, divide the units of pounds by 10. The resulting number would then be used to determine whether the quantity falls within the criteria for a hazardous material facility.

For further information please review the Broward County Code of Ordinances, Chapter 27, Pollution Control Article XII.

Example of Facilities that may require a Hazardous Materials License

- Aircraft Maintenance - Golf Courses **
- Automotive shops - Furniture Manufacturing/Refinishing Stores **
   Body (repair/painting)  - Laboratories and Hospitals **
   Lube and Towing - Machine Shops
   Mufflers (exhaust) - Municipal Facilities**
   Repair (general) - Parks **
   Transmissions - Police Departments **
   Brakes and Radiator - Printing Shops/ Screen Printing
- Boat Repair Marinas ** - Public Safety Facilities **
- Cellular Service (towers, etc) - Public Works/Maintenance
- Community Swimming Pools ** - Retail Gas Stations
- Diesel Generators - Schools with Laboratories **
- Dry Cleaners - Water and Wastewater Services
- Fire Rescue Stations
**When using or storing hazardous materials.

PHONE: 954.519.1260

FAX: 954.519.1494