The Broward Water Partnership, which includes Broward County and 19 local governments and water utilities, has made it easy for you to conserve water this holiday season with some simple-to-follow tips:
- Don’t run the tap when washing dishes. Plugging the drain, filling the sink with soapy water, and scrubbing and rinsing can reduce how much water you use cleaning all those holiday pots, pans and dishes.
- Most dishwashers will clean your plates just fine if you just scrape off food scraps and put them right in the dishwasher. So, no rinsing beforehand is necessary.
- To reduce the number of loads of dishes you have to do, make sure that your dishwasher is fully loaded every time you run it.
- Only wash and dry full loads of laundry every time, and use cold water whenever possible, to help with your energy bills.
- Encourage your guests to take shorter showers and to turn off the water when brushing their teeth. Let them know that you are trying to conserve water this holiday season and they will probably be happy to oblige.
If you are looking for some great gift ideas to share the joys of water conservation with others, water-efficient appliances can make great gifts. Low-flow faucet aerators are small and reasonably priced, and make great stocking stuffers. Water-efficient showerheads make great gifts too.