The Broward County Parks and Recreation Division takes a proactive approach to patron, staff, and resource protection. We are dedicated to providing safe places for recreation and the enjoyment of nature.
Our Rules and Regulations are designed to inform and educate visitors on the safest and most enjoyable experiences, while ensuring their own personal safety and security while visiting our parks.
The Division partners with local law enforcement, as well as contracted security, to provide a proactive response to suspicious and/or emergency situations. We have video surveillance cameras in use throughout the parks, and a security-focused signage system is in place, reminding park visitors to Park Smart, and to help us with the Park Watch program, which asks our patrons to be the extra sets of eyes and ears that help to keep our parks safe for everyone.
If you witness a crime in progress or notice suspicious activity in a park, please dial 911 immediately and call the situation to the attention of the park manager. Don't Be a Victim! flyer (PDF 3.19 MB)
Park Watch is a crime-prevention program along the lines of a neighborhood crime watch. It depends on youths, adults, and senior citizens to help eradicate crime, drugs, and gangs from the park(s) in their neighborhood.
The assumption is that the people who know a neighborhood or community best are the people who live and play there. Residents can help reduce crime in their area simply by paying attention and reporting strangers who are acting suspicious or situations that "just don't look or feel right" to the police or park management. By getting to know your parks better, you can help us ensure that they're safe places for you and your family.
For more information on joining or establishing a Park Watch in your community, contact the park office or call Parks and Recreation Division's Security Section at 954-357-8142.
Tips for Your Personal Safety:
- Don't leave anything of value in your vehicle.
- Transfer belongings into your trunk before you get to the park.
- Listen to your intuition - if something doesn't seem right, report it to park staff or the police.
- Be aware of your surroundings - distractions such as cellphones and earphones limit your ability to hear and see what is around you, including traffic and other potential threats.
- Stay in well-lighted and open areas whenever possible.
- Keep children under close watch and near you at all times.
- Report security concerns to the Division's Security Section: 954-357-8142, CWilliams@Broward.org.