The Broward County Parks and Recreation Division takes a proactive approach to patron, staff, and resource protection. We are dedicated to providing safe places for recreation and the enjoyment of nature.
Our Rules and Regulations are designed to inform and educate visitors on the safest and most enjoyable experiences, while ensuring their own personal safety and security while visiting our parks.
The Division partners with local law enforcement, as well as contracted security, to provide a proactive response to suspicious and/or emergency situations. We have video surveillance cameras in use throughout the parks, and a security-focused signage system is in place, reminding park visitors to Park Smart, and to help us with the Park Watch program, which asks our patrons to be the extra sets of eyes and ears that help to keep our parks safe for everyone.
If you witness a crime in progress or notice suspicious activity in a park, please dial 911 immediately and call the situation to the attention of the park manager.
Tips for Your Personal Safety:
- Don't leave anything of value in your vehicle.
- Transfer belongings into your trunk before you get to the park.
- Listen to your intuition - if something doesn't seem right, report it to park staff or the police.
- Be aware of your surroundings - distractions such as cellphones and earphones limit your ability to hear and see what is around you, including traffic and other potential threats.
- Stay in well-lighted and open areas whenever possible.
- Keep children under close watch and near you at all times.
- Report security concerns to the Division's Security Section: 954-357-8142.