Necessary Special Requirements: Current Jeff Ellis and Associates ILTP License is required and must be presented at time of interview. Employment continuation in this class is contingent upon certification/recertification by Jeff Ellis and Associates.
Nature of Work: This is skilled water-safety work involved in the operation of county aquatics facility/facilities. Employees in this class are responsible for safeguarding employees and patrons at county aquatics facility/facilities, or when engaged in a county-sponsored activity at a public aquatics facility. Work involves the prevention of injury or loss of life at aquatics facilities for swimming and bathing by performing water rescue and prevention techniques, first aid, and CPR. Duties also include a variety of maintenance tasks. Work is reviewed through employee observation, facility inspection, and written and oral reports and conferences.
Illustrative Tasks: Maintains staff and patron safety, order, and discipline at the assigned aquatics facility/facilities. Performs emergency water-rescue techniques to assist persons in distress, applies CPR, and administers standard first aid when necessary. Assists in the implementation of aquatics programs and special events. Explains and interprets operational and programmatic rules and regulations to park patrons; enforces or refers enforcement to proper authorities. Ensures general safety, cleanliness, and appearance of assigned aquatics amenities including water park or pool areas, restrooms, showers, and concession areas when able to do so without distraction from lifeguarding responsibilities. Performs related work as required.
Knowledge, Abilities and Skills: Knowledge of approved water-rescue and accident-prevention techniques, emergency procedures, simulation drills, water-safety policies, first aid, and CPR. Knowledge of water-safety practices and procedures. Some knowledge of operational safety and maintenance requirements for aquatics facilities and amenities.
· Ability to react efficiently and effectively in emergency rescue situations.
· Ability to perform assigned tasks requiring physical strength and agility.
· Ability to react efficiently and tactfully with the public and to be capable of enforcing regulations firmly and impartially.
· Ability to serve the public and fellow employees with honesty and integrity in full accord with the letter and spirit of Broward County's Ethics and Conflict of Interest policies.
· Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the general public, co-workers, elected and appointed officials, and members of diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds regardless of race, religion, age, sex, disability, political affiliation or sexual orientation.
· Skills in pool and open-water swimming, water rescue, accident prevention techniques, water-safety procedures, standard first aid, and CPR.
Required Experience and Training: Completion of two (2) years of high school or equivalent or in process of completion of the 10th grade. Employment continuation in this class is contingent upon completion of the 10th grade within four (4) months of employment; minimum age 16 years; some previous experience as a lifeguard; or equivalent combination of relevant training and experience.
General Information: Work location(s) - Broward County Parks and Recreation Division
County employees who are working as lifeguards and have "satisfactory" performance rating do not have to retake the performance test for: promotion within the job class series, demotion, or transfer within the county. Applicants without current lifeguard certification or not currently working as lifeguards must take a performance test for qualifying purposes only. The performance test will be waived for applicants who possess an International Lifeguard Training Program Certification from Jeff Ellis and Associates. The county will train applicants who do not already have an International Lifeguard Training Program certification after employment in this job class. Such employees will be required to remit $112 to the county for expenses for this training.
Hourly Range: $10.57 - $11.21