Advisory Board Formation
The members of the Urban Wilderness Advisory Board are appointed by the Broward County Board of County Commissioners pursuant to Article II, Section 25½-20 (Ordinance No. 77-36, § 1, 7-13-77; Ordinance No. 90-15, § 1, 7-10-90). The function of the advisory board according to Section 25½-22 will be to:
- Develop and maintain a list of the lands within Broward County that are suitable for designation as wilderness areas.
- Submit to the Commission reports on those lands that should be given the highest priority for designation as wilderness areas.
- Submit to the Commission reports on feasible methods for the acquisition of lands suitable for designation as wilderness areas.
- Formulate rules and regulations to govern the use of designated wilderness areas that may be adopted by the Commission.
- Promote and solicit bequests, donations, and contributions for the benefit of the Urban Wilderness Park System.
- Submit to the Commission an annual report and proposed budget.
- Review and comment on staff-developed resource management plans and master plans and periodically readdress resource management plans for modifications.
Membership: The Board shall be composed of nine (9) members appointed by the Commission for terms of office as established in section 1-233, Broward County Code. Each member of the Board must have either a professional degree or demonstrated knowledge and practical experience in at least one of the following scientific fields:
- Physical sciences
- Environmental science
Urban Wilderness Advisory Board Intent and Purpose
It is the intent and purpose of the Broward County Board of County Commissioners to establish an urban wilderness park system in Broward County to consist of designated wilderness areas that shall be set aside in permanent preserves, protected from incompatible human activity. These areas shall be dedicated in perpetuity as wilderness areas and shall be managed in such a way as to protect and enhance their basic natural quality for public enjoyment and utilization as reminders of the natural conditions that preceded modern civilization.
Urban Wilderness Advisory Board Members
and the Commissioners They Represent
COMMISSIONER MARTIN DAVID KIAR (District 1)
COMMISSIONER KRISTIN D. JACOBS (District 2)
COMMISSIONER STACY RITTER (District 3)
Joan F. Kohl
COMMISSIONER CHIP LaMARCA (District 4)
COMMISSIONER LOIS WEXLER (District 5)
COMMISSIONER SUE GUNZBURGER (District 6)
COMMISSIONER TIM RYAN (District 7)
F. David Markward
COMMISSIONER BARBARA SHARIEF (District 8)
COMMISSIONER DALE V. C. HOLNESS (District 9)