November Holidays and Camping Specials for Veterans
All Broward County parks, except Deerfield Island Park, will be open on Veterans Day, Friday, November 11. Due to popular demand, all parks will also be open on Thanksgiving, Thursday, November 24, and the day after Thanksgiving, Friday, November 25. The regional parks' holiday gate entrance fee of $1.50/person (children 5 and under free) will be in effect on these three days.
Veteran camping specials are available for active-duty and honorably discharged veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces, National Guard, and reserve units. Rates are for up to four campers, with additional per-camper fees applying (up to six campers total). Pet registration fees also apply.
Veterans can get 25 percent off their total stay between Friday, November 11 through Monday, November 14 at C.B. Smith Park, Markham Park, and T.Y. (Topeekeegee Yugnee) Park.
There are a couple of different specials at Easterlin Park and Quiet Waters Park available from Tuesday, November 1, through Wednesday, November 30. Fees at both of these parks include discounts at attractions at Quiet Waters Park: Ski Rixen USA for cable water-skiing and Bike America for bike rentals.
- Family Fun Package: A two-night stay, on a Friday and a Saturday, for up to four campers will cost $50 per site. Up to two additional campers can be added for $3 each per night.
- Escape Special: A campsite for up to four campers, on Sundays through Thursdays, will cost $25 per site per night, for one or more nights. Up to two additional campers can be added for $3 each per night.
Please read our press release to learn more details, including what documentation is required to be eligible for the camping specials.
We have programs and events for people of all ages, including young children. These programs provide fun and educational environments where children can engage in activities, like crafts, games, and stories, and learn about topics relating to plants and animals. We want the young children in our community to play, learn, and grow, and enjoy the programs and benefits our parks have to offer.
- Tues., Nov. 1, 10-11 a.m. - Nature Tots at Miramar Pineland - This program offers nature-theme-based learning and play through storytelling, arts and crafts, and active play on the playground and splash pad. For ages 2 to 4. Fee: $5/child. Preregistration is required. Call 954-357-8776 for more information.
- Wed., Nov. 2, 9:30-11 a.m. - Polliwogs at Hillsboro Pineland Natural Area - This new program is designed for preschoolers and their parents to discover more about nature together. Program themes change monthly and feature simple investigations, stories, crafts, games, and an exploratory hike. This is an outdoor adventure in a nature preserve, so wear play clothes and closed–toe shoes. Come ready to discover something WILD! This month's theme is "Hide and Seek." For ages 3 to 5. Fee: $5/child. Preregistration is required at least 36 hours before the event. Call 954-357-5100 for more information.
- Thurs., Nov. 10, 10-11 a.m. - Preschool Play ‘n’ Learn at Long Key Natural Area & Nature Center - Preschool children explore the natural world while learning nature-based lessons. This program may include games, hands-on activities, crafts, storytelling, songs, and a nature walk or animal encounter. For ages 4 to 5. Fee: $5/child. Preregistration is required. Call 954-357-8797 for more information.
- Mon., Nov. 14, 10-11 a.m. - Tot Walk at Secret Woods Nature Center - Explore Secret Woods on a walk for nature loving tots and their parents. For ages 2 to 4. Fee: $5/child. Preregistration is required. Call 954-357-8884 for more information.
- Tues., Nov. 15, 10-11 a.m. - Nature Tots at West Lake Park - Kids and their parents can join a Broward County Parks naturalist and learn about nature through stories, songs, arts and crafts, and more. For ages 2 to 4. Fee: $5/child. Preregistration is required. Call 954-357-5161 for more information.
- Wed., Nov. 30, 10-11 a.m. - Knee-High Naturalist at Long Key Natural Area & Nature Center - Preschool children enjoy nature-based learning activities while having fun. This program may include games, nature walks, hands-on activities, and outside adventures. For ages 3 to 5. Fee: $5/child. Preregistration is required. Call 954-357-8797 for more information.
Children must be accompanied by an adult for these events. Hillsboro Pineland is accessible via Broward County Transit Route #19; Secret Woods via Route #6; and West Lake via Routes #4 and #12.
The fun continues with the Family Hayride and Campfire Series this November. The Family Hayride and Campfire Series events are at two of our parks this month and include hayrides, campfires, and s’mores. Each event costs only $3.50 plus tax per person and includes one hayride, access to the cozy campfire, plus a bag of essentials to make a s’more. Preregister at Easterlin Park or Quiet Waters Park by calling or visiting the park of your choice. There is no preregistration at T.Y., which requests cash only.
We have many events this November where you can walk, run, or bike in the fresh air and amid the beautiful scenery at our parks.
- Sat., Nov. 5, 7-11 a.m. - Steps for SOS Kids 5K Walk/Run at Tradewinds Park - Visit StepsForSOS.org for more information.
- Sat., Nov. 5, 7:30 a.m.-noon - An Extra Mile for Venezuela 5K Run at Vista View Park - Visit the event Website for more information.
- Sun., Nov. 6, 9 a.m. - PKD Foundation Fundraiser Walk at T.Y. Park - Visit the event Website for more information.
- Sat., Nov. 12, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. - NAMI Broward 5K Walk at Tradewinds Park - Visit NAMIBroward.org for more information.
- Sat., Nov. 12, 6-9 p.m. - Fantasy of Lights 5K Run/Walk at Tradewinds Park - Visit HolidayLightsDriveThru.com for more information.
- Sun., Nov. 13, 6-8 p.m. - Bike Through the Lights at Tradewinds Park - Visit HolidayLightsDriveThru.com for more information.
- Wed., Nov. 16, 8:30-10:30 p.m. - Bike America Night Ride at Quiet Waters Park - Visit www.BikeAm.com or call 954-570-8122 for more information.
- Sat. & Sun., Nov. 19 & 20, 8 a.m. - South Broward Wheelers Adopt-a-Bike Ride at Markham Park - Visit AdoptableBike.org/Events for more information.
- Sun., Nov. 20, 7 a.m.-noon - Fourth Annual Flanagan’s Rockin’ Rib Run 10K at Vista View Park - Visit RunnersDepot.net for more information.
- Sat., Nov. 26, 7-9 a.m. - Turkey Trot Triathalon & Duathon at Tradewinds Park - Visit MultiRace.com for more information.
There’s plenty to do at our parks during a regular day, but there’s extra excitement when we offer a special event. This month we will host a variety of festivals focusing on fun, celebrations, education, history, culture, and the environment.
- Sat., Nov. 12, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. - Everyday Green Expo at Quiet Waters Park - Go green and explore the world of sustainable living. Purchase unique creations in our Season to Be Green holiday gift shop. Find a "fur-ever" friend at the Pet Expo. Meet local and international organizations with a sustainable vision. Play around in the Kids' Corner. Test your taste buds at our farm-to-table demonstrations. Other special events will happen throughout the day. Free entry. Visit the Everyday Green Expo page on our Website for more information.
- Sat. & Sun., Nov. 12 & 13 and Nov. 19 & 20, 10 a.m.-5:30 p.m. - Camelot Days Medieval Festival at T.Y. Park - Explore a kingdom full of musicians, artisans, eateries, knights, and jesters. Cheer for your favorite side at the living chess game and joust. Feast like a king on hearty food and drink. Shop for fine handcrafted treasures in the Artists’ Market. Enjoy challenging games and exciting rides for all ages. This event costs $15 for adults and $3 for children ages 6 to 12. Kids under 6 are free. Visit CamelotDays.com for tickets or more information.
- Sun., Nov. 13, 10 a.m.-10 p.m. - Jamaican Jerk Festival at Markham Park - Experience Jamaican culture with music, crafts, and Caribbean cuisine, including spicy jerk delicacies. General admission tickets are $30 prepaid or $35 the day of the event. VIP tickets are $140 and include an exclusive VIP entrance, preferred parking, front-of-stage viewing area, open bar, all-inclusive gourmet menu, waiter service, and gift bags. Visit JerkFestival.com for tickets or more information.
- Sat. & Sun., Nov. 19 & 20, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. - Holiday Festival at Tradewinds Park - This holiday-themed event will have ice skating, a sled hill, food trucks, and vendors. Call 954-357-8870 for more information.
Weekend entrance fees of $1.50 per person, for ages 6 and up, will also apply. Markham is accessible via Broward County Transit
Route #23; Quiet Waters via Route #14 and Deerfield Beach 1 East-West; Tradewinds via Route #34, Coconut Creek North, and Coconut Creek South; and T.Y. via Route #12.
20th Anniversary of Anne Kolb Nature Center
Anne Kolb Nature Center is named after the late Anne Kolb
, who was the first woman election to the County Commission, a former award-winning journalist, and an environmentalist. Anne Kolb’s accomplishments included leading movements to preserve land for future generations and saving coastal mangrove wetland from development in the area that is now Anne Kolb Nature Center
This year, the park is celebrating its 20th anniversary. In honor of this milestone, the park will host a 20th Anniversary Silent Auction and Music Celebration on Sunday, November 13, from 2 to 5 p.m. A $10-per-person donation to the park’s volunteer group, the Friends of Anne Kolb Nature Center, will give you access to light refreshments and a music program from the Music Club of Hollywood. There will also be a silent auction, and proceeds from this event will help fund Anne Kolb's environmental education programs and other park projects.
For further information, call the park at 954-357-5161. Anne Kolb is accessible via Broward County Transit
Routes #4 and #12.
Camping Promotion: Family Bed & Breakfast
November 1 marks the beginning of in-season camping
, with a rate
of $40 per site per night for a regular stay of RV or tent camping. Are you interested in a deal that combines a campsite and activities? Consider booking a staycation with the Family Bed and Breakfast
Go camping at Quiet Waters Park
from Friday, November 18 to Sunday, November 20 and enjoy a campsite, a hayride, a movie, continental breakfast, and a guided nature walk. This package costs $80 plus tax per campsite for up to four campers, but up to two additional campers can be added for $5 each. Check-in is Friday at 3 p.m., and check out is Sunday at 1 p.m.
There is limited space available, so make your reservation early. Preregistration and prepayment are required. Call Quiet Waters at 954-357-5100 to preregister or find out more details. The park is accessible via Broward County Transit
Experience the joy of the holiday season by driving through the Holiday Fantasy of Lights
, which features three miles of illuminated trees and giant, animated holiday displays. This drive-through light extravaganza will be open nightly, even on holidays, from 6 to 10 p.m. from Friday, November 18 through Monday, January 2, 2017. Tickets will cost $15 per car and $40 per bus with 15 or more passengers. Select dates, which have not yet been announced, will have discounted tickets. There will also be a Fantasy of Lights 5K Run and Walk and a Family Bike Night where attendees can exercise in the enchanting setting of the light displays. For more information, visit HolidayLightsDriveThru.com
Parks Foundation of Broward County
The Parks Foundation of Broward County
is a 501 (c) (3) organization founded in 2014 in support of the Broward County Parks and Recreation Division. The foundation welcomes individual memberships and corporate partnerships at all levels to help promote our parks and programs, preserve our natural areas, and provide more green space for our community.
Our Social Media Links:
Follow us on social media for more updates!
|Quote of the
"One touch of nature makes the whole world kin." -English poet and playright William Shakespeare (1564-1616)