Halloween Fun for Everyone
When you think about Halloween, costumes and candy probably come to mind, but you may not think of Broward County parks. Now you should! We are hosting several Halloween events, and we’ve covered a few different ways to celebrate.
For the Kids:
Wed., Oct. 5, 9:30-11 a.m. - Not-So-Scary Halloween
at Hillsboro Pineland Natural Area
- Storytelling, crafts, games, and an exploratory hike will be featured at this event. For ages 3 to 5. Fee: $5/child. Preregistration is required at least 36 hours in advance. Call 954-357-5100 for more information.
Sat. & Sun., Oct. 15 & 16, 10 a.m.-1 p.m. - Monsters of Nature
at Long Key Natural Area & Nature Center
- Drop by Long Key's Discovery Room to learn about bats, spiders, toads, snakes, and other creepy creatures. Play nature-themed games, do a craft project, or hear a story. Various activities will occur throughout the day. For ages 3 to 10. Fee: $5/person. Call 954-357-8797 for details.
Fri. & Sat., Oct. 28 & 29, 6-9 p.m. - Trick-or-Treat Through the Trees at Long Key - Play Halloween-themed games and make craft projects, then go on a naturalist-led trick-or-treat adventure in the forest. One trail will feature mildly scary thrills, while the other will offer scare-free fun. For ages 3 to 10. Fee: $5/child. Reservations recommended. Call 954-357-8797 for details.
Fri., Oct. 21, 7-8 p.m. - Things That Go Bump in the Night Hike at Long Key - Participants will go on a naturalist-led outing and learn about the nocturnal animals that call the park home, by way of stories, myths, and legends. For all ages. Fee: $5/person. Call 954-357-8797.
Sun., Oct. 30, 7 a.m.-noon - Spooktacular 5K Road Race
at T.Y. (Topeekeegee Yugnee) Park
- 5K road race through the park. For all ages. Fee: Call for fees. Call 954-357-8811 for details.
Sat., Oct. 22, 11 a.m.-3 p.m. - Hallo-Green
at Anne Kolb Nature Center
- An eco-friendly celebration featuring games, arts and crafts, and other environmental-themed activities. Fee: $2/person admission to the exhibit hall. Call 954-357-5161 for additional info.
Fri., Oct. 28, 6-8 p.m. - Ghosts & Goblins Family Fun Night
at Fern Forest Nature Center
- Enjoy a family-friendly Halloween event with crafts, games, a costume parade, and an age-appropriate storytime. For ages 2 to 11. Fee: Free; nominal fees for certain activities. Call 954-357-5198.
Fri., Oct. 28, 6:30-9 p.m. - Trunk-or-Treat Car Costume Contest
at Quiet Waters Park
- Activities include a bounce house, a candy giveaway, and a Halloween-themed movie, all in the Shelter 10 area. For all ages. Fee: $2 per reserved parking spot. Preregistration and prepayment required. Call 954-357-5100.
Sun., Oct. 30, noon-4 p.m. - Spotlight on Spiders
at Secret Woods Nature Center
- This free program will be held in the park's Monarch Interpretive Center, where participants will learn "scary" spider facts and observe spiders spinning their webs. For all ages. Call 954-357-8884 for details.
Hay, I'd Like S'more Please!
Have you been wanting to go on a hayride but have no idea where to find one in South Florida? Have you been yearning to enjoy a bonfire but don’t want to deal with the logistics of one? Stop your search; those two elusive activities will be combined into one memorable event. The Family Hayride and Campfire Series has all that, plus s’mores!
Find the fun of the Family Hayride and Campfire Series at four of our parks this fall and winter: Easterlin, Tradewinds, T.Y., and Quiet Waters. This budget-friendly event costs only $3.50 plus tax per person and includes one hayride, access to the cozy campfire, plus a bag of the essentials to make a s’more. Preregister by calling or visiting the park of your choice.
- Oct. 14, Jan. 13, and Feb. 3 - Easterlin Park (954-357-5190)
- Oct. 21, Nov. 18, Dec. 9, and Jan. 20 - Quiet Waters Park (954-357-5100)
- Oct. 21, Nov. 18, Dec. 16, Jan. 20, and Feb. 17 - T.Y. (Topeekeegee Yugnee) Park (954-357-8811)
- Jan. 6, Jan. 27, Feb. 10, and Mar. 3 - Tradewinds Park & Stables (954-357-8870)
Easterlin is accessible via Broward County Transit Route #14, Quiet Waters via Route #14, Tradewinds via Route #34, and T.Y. via Route #12.
Autumn has already arrived, but the in-season camping
fees have yet to arrive. Take advantage of the out-of-season camping rate of $30 per RV or tent camp site per night until the end of October. Starting November 1, the in-season $40 per site per night camping fee
Go camping at Quiet Waters Park
from Friday to Sunday, October 21-23, and take advantage of the Family Bed and Breakfast
promotion, which includes a campsite and activities. Friday night will include a hayride, Saturday night will include a movie, and Sunday morning will include a continental breakfast and a guided nature walk. This package costs $80 plus tax per campsite for up to four campers. Up to two additional campers can be added for $5 each. Check-in is Friday at 3 p.m., and check out is Sunday at 1 p.m. Preregistration and prepayment are required. Call Quiet Waters at 954-357-5100 to preregister or find out more details. Quiet Waters is accessible via Broward County Transit
Learn about other camping specials
available until the end of October as well as more details about camping
at our parks by visiting our Website, and don’t forget to read the campground rules
This year, New Times Broward/Palm Beach
will host its annual New Times Original Beerfest
at C.B. Smith Park
on Saturday, October 22 from 2 to 6 p.m. Guests can enjoy unlimited craft beer samples and live music at this energetic, adults-only event. You can find more information, as well as general admission and VIP tickets, online. Tradewinds Parks & Stables
will host its fifth annual Fall Festival
on Saturday, October 29 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. This family-friendly event celebrates the autumn season with activities such as hayrides, games, crafts, farm tours and demonstrations, food trucks, and more. Profits from this event will help fund the Retirement Pasture, a retirement home for the park's older animals.
C.B. Smith is accessible via Broward County Transit
Routes #5, #7, #16, #23, and 95EXP-PEMBROKE; Tradewinds via Route #34.
water park at C.B. Smith Park
will remain open on weekends until Sunday, October 30, and the rest of our water parks
have closed to the public for the season, except for upcoming dogs-only events.
Bring your playful pooches to the K9 Water Festival and Barktoberfest events to enjoy socializing and splashing with their fellow furry friends.
The K9 Water Festival
events will be at Castaway Island
water park at T.Y. Park
on October 1 and 2 as well as October 15 and 16. The water festivals will have $5, 50-minute sessions from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. The dogs must be at least 4 months old, and they can play for a maximum of two sessions per day. Proof of current rabies vaccination and County license tag are required. Give joy to less-fortunate pets, too, by bringing donations of dog and cat food, blankets, toys, and treats for the homeless animals at Broward County shelters.
events will be at Splash Adventure
water park at Quiet Waters Park
on October 8 and 9 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. This festival will have activities such as splash time for the dogs, pet adoptions, face painting, a bounce house, and a costume contest. The festival is free, but some activities will cost a nominal fee, such as $5 for 50 minutes of playtime in the water for dogs.
For additional information, call the park of your choice: Quiet Waters at 954-357-5100, or T.Y. at 954-357-8811. The parks’ regular weekend and holiday gate entrance fee of $1.50/person (children 5 and under free) will be in effect for these events.
Broward County’s population is composed of many diverse customs, some of which can be experienced this October at Central Broward Regional Park & Stadium’s upcoming cultural events.
- Saturday, October 1: Junior Carnival, noon to 10 p.m. This free event is a children’s parade with costumes that celebrates Caribbean culture.
- Saturday, October 8: Jouvert Carnival, 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. Continue the Caribbean Carnival and Jouvert party at this free event with costumes, music, and a parade.
- Sunday, October 16 and Sunday, October 30: Haiti Youth Development & Educating Haitian Youth, 2-10 p.m. These events combine Haitian heritage and soccer.
For more information, call Central Broward Regional at 954-357-5400. The park is accessible via Broward County Transit Routes #18, #19, #36, #40, #81, and 441 Breeze.
Work on your fitness and help out a charitable cause at the same time with this month’s running, walking, and cycling events that raise funds to give back to the community.
Sat., Oct. 29, 11 a.m.-2 p.m. - The Rett Syndome Strollathon
at Tradewinds Park & Stables
will benefit the Rett Syndrome Foundation, which accelerates research to cure Rett syndrome and empowers families with knowledge and connectivity. Visit https://www.strollathon.org/coconutcreek
to register and find out more information.
Markham Park is accessible via Broward County Transit
Route #23, Quiet Waters via Route #14, and Tradewinds via Route #34.
Special Populations Events
The Parks and Recreation Division’s Special Populations Section
plans and implements programs and events year round for children, teens, and adults with disabilities. These events and programs help develop well-being, socialization, and other skills in fun ways.
The month of October brings the Fall Frolic
event, a free dance for adults with developmental disabilities. This event, which will include socializing, music, dancing, and refreshments, will be at Tree Tops Park on Friday, October 21 from 7 to 10 p.m. Preregistration is required.
The Special Populations Section also has ongoing activities, including bowling, yoga, and tandem bicycle rides. Visit our Website
, call 954-357-8170, or email SpecialPopulations@Broward.org
to learn more information or to preregister for programs and events.
Parks Foundation of Broward County
The Parks Foundation of Broward County is a 501 (c) (3) organization founded in 2014 in support of the Broward County Parks and Recreation Division. The foundation welcomes individual memberships and corporate partnerships at all levels to help promote our parks and programs, preserve our natural areas, and provide more green space for our community.
Follow us on social media for more updates!
Twitter: Broward County Parks or @BrowardParks at Twitter.com/BrowardParks
Facebook: Broward County Parks at Facebook.com/BrowardCountyParks
YouTube: Broward County Parks at YouTube.com/BrowardCountyParks
|Quote of the
"The poetry of the earth is never dead." -English Romantic poet John Keats (1795 -1818)