Dog park passes are required.
Fees are $25 per household for an annual pass and $5 for a daily pass, plus sales tax.
Proof of current vaccinations must be provided for each dog.
Register at the park office. For more information, call the park at 954-357-8868.
“The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself, too.” – Samuel Butler
If you’re among the more than 43 million American households that own at least one dog, consider checking out Barkham at Markham with your canine companion(s). This approximately three-acre, fenced-in area, which opened just west of the entrance to Markham Park in March 2005, was designed as a space for dogs to play leash-free. It includes sections for both large and small dogs, and it was the first dog park in the county landscaped with Bermuda sod to provide a smooth, even, grassy playing surface.
Owner amenities include eight-foot-wide asphalt paths for walking or jogging with your pet, as well as three shelters. Two of them feature fountains dispensing chilled water for humans, while dogs have their own fountains in designated areas. There is also an area for washing dogs of all sizes. The entire dog park is fully accessible.
Both dogs and their owners are expected to adhere to Dog Park Rules.
Dog Park Rules
- Dog handlers must stay within sight of their dogs at all times.
- Owners of aggressive dogs will be asked to remove their dogs from the park.
- All dogs must have proof of current rabies and vaccinations, and license.
- If your dog is annoying or is provoking others, it is time to leave the off-leash dog area.
- For their own safety and health, puppies under 4 months of age are not permitted.
- Cleaning up after your dog is your responsibility.
- We reserve the right to set a time limit for your visit if attendance is at peak capacity. Please limit use to one hour.
- There is a limit of three dogs per adult handler.
- Children must be supervised at all times by an adult.
- Dog handlers are solely responsible for their dogs.
- Dog handlers must have within reach one leash for each dog.
- No dogs in heat are permitted.
- Stop dogs from digging and fill in holes.
- Food of any kind is prohibited.
- No spiked or pronged dog collars are permitted.
- Respect patrons' requests regarding their dogs.
- No animals other than dogs are permitted.
- Dogs must be on leashes when entering and exiting the off-leash area.
- Trained service dogs are welcome.
- Unleash your dog upon entry into the dog park. A leashed dog may feel threatened by other dogs moving freely.
- All dog bites or injuries must be reported to park office before leaving the park. Call 954-357-8868.
- Dog pools and community water bowls are prohibited.
- The Broward County Commission supports and encourages spaying and neutering your animals.
Safety tip: When several dogs pack together, it can lead to trouble. Please separate your dog from the pack to a neutral area. It is important that handlers stay aware but let the dogs have fun and relax.
Barkham at Markham is open during regular park hours. For more information, call the park at 954-357-8868.
More pet information and events.
Well-behaved, leashed dogs are also allowed to visit all Broward County Parks EXCEPT Hollywood North Beach Park (beach side) and all of the nature centers and natural areas.
If you plan to visit a city park with your pet, check the rules of the city, as most municipalities do not allow pets in their parks.
Other Dog Parks Operated by Municipalities in Broward County
All are free and open daily unless otherwise indicated on the corresponding Websites.
- Dog Beach
- Emerald Hills Lakes Park
- John Williams Park
- Oakridge Park
- Poinciana Neighborhood Dog Park