Anne Kolb Nature Center | Deerfield Island Park | Fern Forest Nature Center | Long Key Natural Area & Nature Center | Secret Woods Nature Center
"Nature always wears the colors of the spirit."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882), American writer/philosopher
Flora & Fauna
Whether they fly through the air, creep across the landscape, or swim beneath the water, animals are of perennial interest in our parks and nature centers. This month there are half a dozen programs to feed our fascination with fauna in its many forms. Call for fees and registration requirements.
- Sat., Nov. 3, 10-11 a.m. – Butterfly Garden Expedition – Markham Park & Target Range (954-357-8868)
- Sat., Nov. 3, 11 a.m.-3 p.m. – All About Coral! – Anne Kolb Nature Center (954-357-5161)
- Sun., Nov. 4, 2-3:30 p.m. – Family Fun Nature Series: Be a Good Angler! – Anne Kolb
- Sat., Nov. 17, 10-11 a.m. – Shells & Claws Hike – Anne Kolb
- Sun., Nov. 18, noon-1 p.m. – Nature Lecture Series: Snakes – Fern Forest Nature Center (954-357-5198)
- Sun., Nov. 25, noon-1 p.m. – Nature Lecture Series: Spiders & Insects – Fern Forest
Let’s not forget the abundant flora found throughout our parks. Plant life is the subject of four programs this month. Again, call the park for registration and fee information.
- Sat., Nov. 3, 10-11 a.m. – Plant Propagation Lecture: Seeds – Secret Woods Nature Center (954-357-8884)
- Thurs., Nov. 8, 10-11 a.m. – Preschool Play ‘n’ Learn: Tree Time (954-357-8797) – Long
Key Natural Area & Nature Center
- Wed., Nov. 14, 7-9 p.m. – Florida Native Plant Society Meeting – Secret Woods
- Sat., Nov. 17, 10-11 a.m. – Saturday Stroll & Learn: Epiphytes – Fern Forest
Great Vibes – Clean Tides
“Everything Under the Sea” is the focus of Oceanfest
, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday, November 10, at Anne Kolb Nature Center
in Hollywood. The event will include games and giveaways, edible ocean delights, Artisans’ Village, and a photo-op with “mermaids,” along with booths featuring educational organizations, vendors, and other exhibitors. The idea is to spread awareness about marine conservation issues. For more information, call 954-357-5113 or email OceanFest@Broward.org
Make Your Own Kind of Music
What better way to spend a Sunday afternoon than listening to (or even playing) music in a beautiful natural setting? You can do just that on two Sundays this month. On November 11, from 2 to 4 p.m., the Dan Barrow Memorial Bluegrass Jam
takes place at Fern Forest Nature Center
(954-357-5198) in Coconut Creek.
The event, which started in the mid-1980s under the name Jammin’, was renamed a couple of years ago in honor of one of its founders. The program invites people either to bring an acoustic instrument and participate in a free jam emphasizing bluegrass but also featuring folk and mountain music, or just to enjoy the performance as a listener. Dates are the second Sunday of the month, October through May, with occasional Twilight Jammin’ sessions scheduled from time to time. (The next one is from 5 to 7 p.m. on December 16.)
Two weeks later, on November 25, Secret Woods Nature Center
(954-357-8884) in Dania Beach hosts its free Jamming in the Park
program, which is scheduled from 1 to 4 p.m. on the fourth Sunday of the month year round. Geared to ages 16 and up, these acoustic jams also invite people to participate or listen.
Nature at Night
If you’re looking for after-hours hikes, check out these November evening events that will take you out on the trails to see nocturnal wildlife emerge. Most of these guided programs entail advance registration and fees (typically $3 to $5, although the Moonlight Paddle is $35). Wear sturdy closed-toe shoes; flashlights, drinking water, and insect repellent are also recommended.
- Wed., Nov. 7, 6-7 p.m. – Pineland at Night Hike – Miramar Pineland (954-357-8776)
- Sat., Nov. 10, 8-9 p.m. – New-Moon Hike – Markham Park & Target Range (954-357-8868)
- Wed., Nov. 14, 7-9 p.m. – Sunset Hike – Miramar Pineland
- Fri., Nov. 16, 6-7 p.m. – Night Hike – Highlands Scrub Natural Area (954-357-5100)
- Tues., Nov. 20, 5-7 p.m. – Moonlight Paddle – West Lake Park (954-357-5161)
- Wed., Nov. 21, 6-7 p.m. – Night Hike – Secret Woods Nature Center (954-357-8884)
Island of Adventure
Imagine being plopped onto a primitive tropical island. What would you eat? Could you start a fire or turn seawater into drinking water? If you’re familiar with the long-running hit television series Survivor
, you know what we’re talking about. Survivor Island
, a hands-on program at Deerfield Island Park
, doesn’t guarantee you TV stardom or a chance at a million bucks, but it does promise to educate and entertain you as you learn basic survivor skills and compete in fun challenges. The next session of the monthly (except December) naturalist-led program, for ages 8 and up, is from 9 a.m. to noon on Saturday, November 3. Come solo or bring a whole tribe – the cost is $8 per person, which includes “Taste of the Island” edibles and your own buff. Closed-toe shoes are required, and preregistration is required. Free shuttle service to the island departs at 9 a.m. sharp from Sullivan Park, 1633 Riverview Rd., Deerfield Beach 33441. Call 954-357-5100 to sign up.
- All Broward County nature centers, natural areas, and other parks will be open on Sunday, November 11 (Veterans Day) and on Monday, November 12 (Veterans Day Observed). Monday exceptions are Deerfield Island Park and Markham Target Range, based on their regular schedules.
- All parks (except Deerfield Island) will also be open on both Thanksgiving Day and the day after, Thursday and Friday, November 22 and 23. Regional parks will charge their regular holiday gate fee of $1.50/person (children 5 and under free) on both days.
- And as a heads-up for December, remember that all Broward County parks will be closed on Christmas Day, the one day we’re closed all year.
…And Everything Else
Other nature-related programming at Broward County parks in November. Many programs require fees and/or preregistration; contact the relevant park for details.
- Fri., Nov. 2, 12:15-12:45 p.m. – Bite-Sized Learning Lunch – Easterlin Park (954-357-5190)
- Sat., Nov. 3, 9 a.m.-noon – EcoAction Volunteer Workday –Fern Forest Nature Center (954-357-5198), Long Key Natural Area & Nature Center (954-357-8797), Miramar Pineland (954-357-8776)
- Sun., Nov. 4, 9-11:30 a.m. – Basic Kayak Class – West Lake Park (954-357-5161)
- Thurs., Nov. 8, 7:30-9:30 p.m. – Florida Trail Association Meeting – Fern Forest
- Fri., Nov. 9, 10-11 a.m. – Tot Walk – Secret Woods Nature Center (954-357-8884)
- Sat., Nov. 10, 9-10:30 a.m. – Scrub-a-Dub-Dub Cleanup & Hike – Crystal Lake Sand Pine Scrub (954-357-8109)
- Sat., Nov. 10, 9 a.m.-noon – EcoAction Volunteer Workday – Quiet Waters Park (954-357-5100), Secret Woods
- Sat., Nov. 10, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. – Nature Crafts for Families: Cards for Veterans – Long Key
- Sun., Nov. 11, 9-11:30 a.m. – Paddling EcoTour – West Lake
- Sun., Nov. 11, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. – Nature Crafts for Families: Cards for Veterans – Long Key
- Sun., Nov. 11, noon-5 p.m. – Veterans Day Family Picnic & Game Day – Miramar Pineland
- Mon., Nov. 12, 10 .m.-4 p.m. – Nature Crafts for Families: Cards for Veterans – Long Key
- Tues., Nov. 13, 9-10 a.m. – Guided Hike – Quiet Waters
- Tues., Nov. 13, 11 a.m.-noon – Investigate It! – Secret Woods
- Fri., Nov. 16, 10 a.m.-1 p.m. – Nature Crafts for Kids: Nature’s Gifts – Long Key
- Fri., Nov. 16, 7-8 p.m. – Night Hike – Highlands Scrub
- Sat., Nov. 17, 6:30-8:30 a.m. – Sunrise Paddle – West Lake
- Sat., Nov. 17, 8:30 a.m.-noon – Natural Area Volunteer Workday – Highlands Scrub Natural Area (954-357-8109)
- Sat., Nov. 17, 9 a.m.-noon – EcoAction Volunteer Workday – Anne Kolb Nature Center (954-357-5161), Deerfield Island Park (954-357-5100)
- Sat., Nov. 17, 9:30-11:30 a.m. – Geocaching Adventure Series – Helene Klein Pineland Preserve (954-357-8109)
- Sat., Nov. 17, 9:30-11:30 a.m. – Family Volunteer Workday – Long Key
- Sat., Nov. 17, 10-11 a.m. – Grass-to-Gravel Nature Trail – Markham Park & Target Range (954-357-8868)
- Sun., Nov. 18, 2:30-4:30 p.m. – Team/Family Shutterbug Photo Hunt – Fern Forest
- Tues., Nov. 20, 9-10 a.m. – Naturalist-Led Tour – Easterlin
- Tues., Nov. 20, 10-11 a.m. – Nature Tots – West Lake
- Sat., Nov. 24, 9-11 a.m. – Island History Paddle & Hike – Deerfield Island
- Sat., Nov. 24, noon-3 p.m. – Secret Woods Rocks – Secret Woods
- Sun., Nov. 25, 10-10:45 a.m. – Trail Stroll – Anne Kolb
- Sun., Nov. 25, 10-11 a.m. – Guided Nature Hike – Long Key
- Mon., Nov. 26, 10-11 a.m. – Knee-High Naturalist: Winter Wonderland – Long Key
- Wed., Nov. 28, 10-11 a.m. – Knee-High Naturalist: Free FALLing – Long Key
The Parks Foundation of Broward County
is a 501(c)(3) organization founded in 2014 in support of Broward County Parks and Recreation Division. The foundation welcomes individual memberships and corporate partnerships at all levels to help promote our parks and programs, preserve our natural areas, and provide more green space for our community.