The official Earth Day, dating back to 1970, is on April 22, but we try to make every day a celebration of our planet. Here are some of the activities we have scheduled this year before, on, and after the big day.
- Sat., Apr. 14, 10 a.m.-noon - Earth Warriors - Secret Woods Nature Center - Observe Earth Day early with this special edition of the park's regular monthly EcoAction Volunteer Workday. Participants will help remove garbage and invasive plants, then learn Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle techniques through eco-activities and crafts. To learn more, call 954-357-8884. Secret Woods is accessible via Broward County Transit Route #6.
Fri., Apr. 20, 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. – Green Sharks’ Fourth Annual Earth Day Event
– Alvin Sherman Library (3100 Ray Ferrero Jr. Blvd., Davie) – For the second
year, Parks will participate in this event, organized by the Green Sharks
Sustainability Club at Nova Southeastern University. We’ll provide information
on the management and conservation of natural resources, and environmental
education at all levels through our parks, nature centers, and natural areas.
Sat., Apr. 21, 9 a.m.-noon - Earth Day Waterway Cleanup - Deerfield Island Park - More than a hundred volunteers are expected for this debris-removal project along the park's shoreline and on its surrounding waters. Preregistration is required for the event, now in its fifth year, which this year replaces the park's regular EcoAction Day. Call Quiet Waters Park, which oversees Deerfield Island, at 954-357-5113.
- Sat., Apr. 21, 9 a.m.-noon - EcoAction Volunteer Workday - Anne Kolb Nature Center - As it does every second Saturday of the month from October through May, the park assembles a crew to pick up trash, remove non-native plants, and install native plants. For more information, call 954-357-5161. Anne Kolb is accessible via Broward County Transit Routes #4 and #12.
- Sat., Apr. 21, 9 a.m.-noon - Global Youth Service Day - Long Key Natural Area & Nature Center - Volunteers will participate in habitat restoration projects, including removal of exotic invasive plants and installation of native plants. Preregistration is required by contacting Long Key at 954-357-8797, at least a day in advance.
- Sat., Apr. 21, 9 a.m.-1 p.m. - Spring Into Gardening Native Plant Sale - Fern Forest Nature Center - As part of several parks' ongoing efforts to educate the public on the importance of native plants in landscaping, and making such plants available for purchase, the nature center hosts one of its two native plant sales. For more info, call 954-357-5198. Fern Forest is accessible via Broward County Transit Routes #31 and #42.
- Sat., Apr. 21, 10-11 a.m. - Earth Day Program - Fern Forest - The park invites individuals and families to take part in hands-on activities to celebrate the Earth. The event is free, and no preregistration is required. For more details, call 954-357-5198.
- Sun., Apr. 22, 9-11:30 a.m. - Paddling EcoTour - West Lake Park - Explore the waterway trails of West Lake by canoe or kayak and learn about history, habitats, ecology, and marine and terrestrial flora and fauna. The fee is $35 per person, and preregistration is required at least two days in advance. Call 954-357-5161. West Lake is accessible via Broward County Transit Routes $4 and #12.
- Sun., Apr. 22, 11 a.m.-noon - Mangrove Adventure Hike - Anne Kolb - A naturalist-led hike commemorates Earth Day with an educational hike on one of the trails, to encounter wildlife and learn about the park's distinctive mangrove ecosystem. The fee is $3 per person, and no preregistration is required. For more info, call the park at 954-357-5161.
- Sun., Apr. 22, noon-1 p.m. - Nature Lecture Series: Spiders & Insects - Fern Forest - Earth Day coincides with the second of three presentations in this series at the park, which concludes with a Q&A session. Free, although donations are welcome and encouraged to support the nature center's programming. Call 954-357-5198.
- Sun., Apr. 22, 1-4 p.m. - Jamming in the Park - Secret Woods - Sing and/or pluck your favorite songs in celebration of Earth Day at this audience-participation program, which takes place every fourth Sunday at the park. It's free and for ages 16 and up, and you're welcome to bring your own acoustic instrument. For more info, call 954-357-8884.
We also have other ongoing monthly nature activities in service to Mother Earth, from volunteer workdays to clean up our parks to programs that instill a love of and respect for nature among preschoolers, from native plant sales to regular meetings of environmental organizations.
- EcoAction Days - In addition to the special volunteer workdays mentioned above, others are scheduled as follows: on the first Saturday of the month at Miramar Pineland (954-357-8776), and second Saturday at Quiet Waters (954-357-5100). There is also a special workday on Saturday, April 14, at Snake Warrior's Island Natural Area (954-357-8776). All workdays are 9 a.m. to noon (1 p.m. at Quiet Waters).
- Nature Tots - First Tuesday at Miramar Pineland; second Thursday at Fern Forest; third Tuesday at West Lake; fourth Thursday at Secret Woods. For ages 2-4. All programs run from 10 to 11 a.m., and preregistration is required. Fee: $5/child.
Florida Native Plant Society Meeting - Second Wednesday at Secret Woods, from 7 to 9 p.m.
- North American Butterfly Association Meeting - Second Thursday, from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m., at Extension Education (954-357-5270).
- Sierra Club Meeting - First Thursday at Fern Forest. 7:30-9:30 p.m.
- Preschool Play 'n' Learn - Second Thursday at Long Key, from 10 to 11 a.m. For ages 3 to 5. The fee is $5/child, and preregistration is required.
- Florida Trail Association - Second Thursday at Fern Forest, from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m.
- Knee-High Naturalist - Last Wednesday at Long Key, from 10 to 11 a.m. For ages 3 to 5. The fee is $5/child, and preregistration is required.