Weather permitting, the marina offers boat rentals - kayaks and canoes - Thursday through Sunday, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., with the last boat departing the marina at 3:50 p.m. The marina is also open all County holidays except the day after Thanksgiving and Christmas Day. Except for Christmas Day, the marina will be open daily from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. from Thursday, December 18, 2014, through Sunday, January 4, 2015. Call the marina at 954-357-5186 to confirm that weather conditions will allow the boats to go out on any given day.
Rentals are $14/boat per hour, $24 for two hours, and $30 for four hours. Rentals include boat, paddles, and U.S. Coast Guard-approved life jackets. Bring a towel and a change of clothes, as you will get wet (anything you want to keep dry should be secured in a small waterproof bag). Hat, sunscreen, insect repellent, and drinking water are also recommended. Small lockers are available at $1 plus tax.
For ages 13 to 17, a parent/guardian signature is required to go out on the lake alone. For ages 12 and under, an adult must be on the boat with them. No infants or toddlers on tours or in classes.
For those who wish to launch their own kayaks/canoes, the marina's boat ramp is open regular park hours, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., daily. No motorized boats are allowed in the lake or at this ramp.
The park's regular gate entrance fee of $1.50/person (children 5 and under free) is in effect on weekends and holidays.
To register, go online or visit the Anne Kolb Nature Center office (751 Sheridan St., Hollywood, 954-357-5161, ext. 0), which is open from 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. daily. For additional information, call the West Lake marina supervisor at 954-357-5122.
All programs are $35 per person plus tax, or $20 per person if you bring your own canoe or kayak. Ages 13 to 17 require signed parent/guardian permission to go out alone. Ages 12 and under require an adult in the boat with them. Participants have the option of going solo or using a double kayak. Infants and toddlers are not permitted in boats. Life jackets are included and must be worn at all times.
Kayak Class - Learn the various braces, strokes, and turning techniques necessary to properly handle a single kayak in this introductory session. Safety issues, rescue techniques, and the required equipment available will also be discussed. Single kayaks are used for this class.
- Sat., Nov. 29 - 8:15-10:15 a.m.
- Tues., Dec. 23 - 9-11 a.m.
- Sat., Jan. 3 - 8:30-10:30 a.m.
- Tues., Jan. 20 - 8:30-10:30 a.m.
- Sat., Jan. 31 - 8:30-10:30 a.m.
- Thurs., Feb. 12 - 8:30-10:30 a.m.
- Sat., Feb. 28 - 8:30-10:30 a.m.
- Sat., Mar. 7 - 8:30-10:30 a.m.
- Sun., Mar. 22 - 8:30-10:30 a.m.
- Sat., Apr. 18 - 8:30-10:30 a.m.
- Tues., Apr. 21 - 8:30-10:30 a.m.
- Sat., May 9 - 8:30-10:30 a.m.
- Sat., May 23 - 8:30-10:30 a.m.
- Sat., June 6 - 8:30-10:30 a.m.
- Sat., July 18, 8:30-10:30 a.m.
Canoe/Tandem Kayak Class - This basic class teaches the various strokes necessary to properly handle a canoe or tandem (double) kayak, which employ similar techniques. Safety issues and how to enter and exit the boats will also be discussed.
- Sat., Dec. 13 - 8:15-10:15 a.m.
- Sun., Jan. 11 - 8:30-10:30 a.m.
- Sun., Feb. 22 - 8:30-10:30 a.m.
- Fri., Apr. 24 - 8:30-10:30 a.m.
- Sun., June 14 - 8:30-10:30 a.m.
Moonlight Paddle - Join us as we paddle among the stars and the light of the moon. This tour is for experienced paddlers; beginners are encouraged to complete one of the park's introductory classes before participating. Canoes and single and double kayaks are available for this program. Lights will be provided.
- Sat., Dec. 6 - 6:30-8:30 p.m.
- Sun., Jan. 4 - 5-7 p.m.
- Fri., Mar. 6 - 5:30-7:30 p.m.
- Sat., Apr. 4 - 6:30-8:30 p.m.
- Sat., May 2 - 7-9 p.m.
- Tues., June 2 - 7:30-9:30 p.m.
- Fri., July 3, 7:30-9:30 p.m.
West Lake Tour - Explore West Lake and learn the history of the park, as well as its diverse ecosystem and its inhabitants, as you paddle the trails. This tour is for experienced paddlers; beginners are encouraged to complete one of the park's introductory classes before participating.
- Sat., Nov. 22 - 8:15-10:15 a.m.
- Thurs., Jan. 1 - 10 a.m.-noon
- Sat., Jan. 17 - 8:30-10:30 a.m.
- Tues., Feb. 3 - 8:30-10:30 a.m.
- Mon., Mar. 9 - 8:30-10:30 a.m.
- Sun., May 17 - 8:30-10:30 a.m.
- Sat., June 20 - 8:30-10:30 a.m.
- Sun., July 19, 8:30-10:30 a.m.
West Lake Park
1200 Sheridan St., Hollywood, FL 33019