The Parks and Recreation Division follows strict guidelines developed by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and Broward County's Aviation Department. These guidelines apply to all aircraft weighing more than 0.55 pounds and less than 55 pounds, including payloads such as onboard cameras.
There are two model airplane fields in two Broward County parks that allow the use of drones:
The guidelines for flying drones are:
- No drone can fly within a five-mile radius of any airport in Broward County.
- All drones must fly below 400 feet altitude.
- Keep your unmanned aircraft in sight at all times.
- Never fly over groups of people, stadiums or sporting events.
- Never fly near emergency response efforts.
- All operators must show proof of registration with the FAA.
- All operators must show proof of membership in the Academy of Model Aeronautics.
- VISTA VIEW PARK ONLY: You must be a member of the club that operates and maintains the park's airfield.
Organizers/promoters of events in Broward County parks that wish to use drones to take videos of their event must:
- Use an approved Broward County vendor that is registered with the FAA, and
- Submit a flight plan to park management for review
For details, contact the Parks Safety Section at ParksSafety@Broward.org.