How Do I...

Find a private attorney?
For a referral to a local attorney, contact either the Florida Bar Association at 850-561-5600 or the Broward County Bar Association at 954-764-8310.

Bond out my car to dispute an auto repair bill?
Get a copy of the bill from the repair shop and file a bond for the amount of the final repair bill plus storage charges, if any, with the Clerk of the Circuit Court at 201 SE 6th Street in Fort Lauderdale. The Clerk will issue a certificate directing the repair shop to release your vehicle. You may wish to ask a police officer to be present when you deliver the certificate to the repair shop. The repair shop has 60 days to file a lawsuit against you to seek payment of its bill from your bond. If the shop does not sue you within the 60-day period, the Clerk will return the bond money to you.

Stop a collection agency from bothering me?
Contact the Florida Department of Financial Services, Office of Financial Regulation at 954-958-5508 to report the harassment.

Report a pet shop that is selling sick animals?
Contact the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, Division of Animal Industry at 850-488-3022.

File a complaint against my dentist or doctor?
Contact the Florida Department of Health, Division of Medical Quality Assurance at 850-245-4339.

Contest a contractor’s lien on my home?
Information about filing a Notice of Contest of Lien is described in Florida Statute §713.22. You may also wish to consult with a private attorney. 

Consumer Resources

Broward County Bar Association
Broward County Clerk of the Courts
Broward County Consumer Protection Code
Consumer Complaint Forms
Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
Federal Trade Commission
Florida Bar Association
Florida Department of Business & Professional Regulation (DBPR)
Florida Division of Animal Industry
Florida Division of Consumer Services
Florida Division of Medical Quality Assurance
Florida Office of Financial Regulation