We regulate chauffeurs that operate vehicles in Broward County as detailed in Chapter 22-½ of the Broward County Code of Ordinances. Individuals who drive taxicabs, luxury sedans, stretch limousines, transport vans, or paratransit service vehicles are required to have a Chauffeur's Registration. Registrations are issued for a two (2) year period, unless we determine they are subject to certain conditions.
Minimum requirements for applicants seeking a registration include:
- A valid Florida driver license
- Proof of citizenship or authorization to work in the United States
- Ability to speak, read, and write in English
- A satisfactory score on the Division examination
- The mental, emotional and physical ability to safely carry out the duties inherent in operating a motor vehicle-for-hire.
Applicants meeting these minimum requirements are subject to a criminal and driving record background check and other considerations outlined in the ordinance.
Registrations may be suspended or revoked for violations and are immediately invalidated should the registrant's driver license be suspended.
Taxicab Passenger’s Bill of Rights:
- To ride in a clean, safe and secure vehicle; to ride in a vehicle that has a Broward County taxicab operating permit (the number of which should be the same as the number on the vehicle)
- To be transported by a driver who has in his/her possession a current Broward County chauffeur's registration(otherwise called a hack license), which I have the right to inspect
- To be transported by a driver who maintains a neat appearance and who treats me in a professional and courteous manner
- To be transported to my destination by means of the most direct and economical route possible, unless I agree or instruct the driver otherwise
- To pay for the transportation based exclusively on an operating taximeter and based strictly on the rates approved by the Broward County Board of County Commissioners, as posted in the vehicle