Contractor and Tree Trimmer Complaints

We issue construction industry and tree trimmer licenses; we also regulate those licensees, including:

  • Residential Building Contractors
  • Remodelers
    Specialty Contractors

Our authority is limited to initiating administrative disciplinary action against the license of a Broward County contractor who has violated a law, ordinance and/or the Florida Building Code.

We have no authority to:

  • Make a contractor perform corrective work
  • Make a contractor pay damages
    Impose the settlement of contract or other civil disputes

These actions are the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts or the arbitration process.

If your complaint involves workmanship issues, we cannot open a formal investigation unless:

  1. The contractor has been cited by a local building code enforcement official for a violation of the Florida Building Code.
  2. You have a report from a Florida-registered engineer certifying that a construction defect constitutes a violation of the Florida Building Code.

Florida law requires builders and remodelers to warrant their work for varying lengths of time; your contract may also contain a specific warranty for the work. If you have a complaint about a warranty issue which a builder or remodeler has not resolved, you can use the PDF icon Consumer Complaint Form to file a general consumer complaint.

Filing your complaint:

Complaints against a contractor or tree trimmer who is licensed by Broward County must be submitted in writing on the Contractor/Tree Trimmer Complaint Form. Please provide details of the dispute and as many facts as possible. In addition, explain what you want the contractor to do to resolve your complaint. Attach copies of any documents that support your complaint, such as:

  • Contracts or purchase agreements
  • Cancelled checks
    Municipal inspection/correction notices
    Mechanic’s lien statements.

Because your signature on the complaint form must be notarized, you must submit your complaint by mail or in person. Please mail your written complaint to:

Environmental Licensing and Building Permitting Division
Contractor Investigations and Enforcement Unit
1 N. University Dr. Box #302
Plantation, FL 33324

For contractors licensed by the state of Florida, complaints should be addressed to:

Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation
1940 N. Monroe St.
Tallahassee, FL 32399


Contractor Restitution Fund

A homeowner who files a civil (legal) action against a Broward County licensed contractor and obtains a judgment based on the contractor's failure of performance is eligible to file a claim for compensation through the Broward County Contractor Restitution Trust Fund program. The term “failure of performance” includes:

  • A breach of the contract warranty
  • A fraudulent, deceptive or dishonest practice
    A conversion of funds

The Contractor Restitution Trust Fund is administered by the Broward County Central Examining Boards.

Consumer Resources

Broward County Consumer Protection Code
Consumer Complaint Forms
Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
Federal Trade Commission
Florida Department of Business & Professional Regulation (DBPR)
Florida Division of Consumer Services