Plan Amendments and Rezoning

Map Amendments

Map amendments are generally required when the new use proposed for a property is not a permitted use for the future land use category for that property.
If the property is located within the Broward Municipal Services District (BMSD) or other unincorporated areas of the County, the property owner must apply for a Future Unincorporated Area Land Use Element Map Series (FUALUEMS) amendment. Future land use designations are required to be substantially compatible with the Planning Council's Land Use Plan Map. Applications for map amendments are generally required to be submitted to us and the Planning Council for processing. 

There are 2 types of amendments:

  • Regular Scale Amendments: for properties that are 10 acres or larger, propose increases in density to 10 dwelling units/acre (DU/Ac) or more, and/or will add 100 or more new dwelling units.

  • Small Scale Amendments​: for properties less than 10 acres, will result in densities lower than 10 DU/Ac and/or fewer than 100 new dwelling units. ​
The process begins with a pre-application meeting to discuss the proposed amendment and what to expect. Contact us to schedule a meeting.

All amendment requests are reviewed by County staff and other agencies. Recommendations are published in a staff report that is ​reviewed by the Local Planning Agency (LPA), which makes recommendations to the Board of County Commissioners at a public meeting. All public meetings are advertised and surrounding property owners are noticed prior to the meeting. 


Once the map series (FUALUEMS) is amended, the property needs to be rezoned to the appropriate designation for the desired use. For more information, please review the application or contact our Zoning Administrator at 954-765-4400, ext. 9868.​

​Flexibility and Compatibility Review

Increases in density and small changes in land uses may also be achieved through flexibility. Flexibility Units and/or Reserve Units may be assigned by the County to properties within the BMSD through rezoning and in some cases, through an amendment to the County’s FUALUEMS, but would not require any action by the Planning Council. ​​
To ensure compatibility with adjacent land uses (LUP Policy 13.01.10), written notification and additional processes are required if the application for flexibility units or reserve units is for properties under the following circumstances:
  1. If located contiguous to another municipality, the adjoining municipalities must be notified
  2. If located east of the Intracoastal Waterway, or adjacent to an Environmentally Sensitive Land, Broward County or regional park; Broward County must be notified. 
If a Compatibility Review is requested, you must submit an application​ for review based on the criteria in Article 9.3 of the Administrative Rules