DOs & DONT's

 Sump hydro test
Sump Hydro Test

Below are some things that facilities with storage tanks should do and should not do:


  • DO register your aboveground and underground storage tanks (ASTs and USTs) with the Florida Department of Environmental Protection (FDEP) and obtain the appropriate license from the County Pollution Prevention, Remediation and Air Quality Division (PPRAQD), if required. This includes USTs containing motor fuel, new or used oils, new or used transmission fluids, new or used hydraulic fluids, etc. USTs larger than 110 gallons and ASTs larger than 550 in capacity must be registered with the FDEP.
  • DO ensure that your tanks are in compliance with leak detection requirements.
  • DO ensure that your tanks meet the secondary containment requirements depending on the date of installation of the tanks.
  • DO upgrade all tanks to meet spill overfill and corrosion protection requirements.
  • DO notify the PPRAQD immediately in the event of a discharge of 25 gallons or more, but in no case later than 24 hours after the discharge.
  • DO notify the PPRAQD of any change in ownership, upgrade or tank status.
  • DO maintain records for 2 years. Some records are required to be kept for the life of the storage tank system.
  • DO make sure you are able to demonstrate financial responsibility; it is also prudent to obtain 3rd party liability insurance.
  • DO manage liquids collected in secondary containment structures appropriately.


  • DON'T remove, close, or upgrade any regulated storage tank without first notifying the PPRAQD.
  • DON'T leave the secondary containment drain valve open.


Leaking tank systems may cause fires or explosions that threaten human safety or contaminate nearby ground water systems. Because of these dangers, state and federal laws and regulations for UST systems were enacted.

For more information concerning the proper handling of aboveground or underground storage systems, contact Pollution Prevention Division (PPD) at 519-1260. This information is offered only as guidance. Specific requirements may vary with individual processes and/or businesses.

Environmental Complaints & Emergency Response (954) 519-1499