Property Taxes - Deferrals

How can I get a property tax deferral?

You can file an application for property tax deferral (Form DR-570) with the Tax Collector's office on or before January 31 following the year in which the taxes and non-ad valorem assessments are assessed. A new application must be submitted each year by March 31 of the year after the year of the assessment. Application are typically approved or denied within one week of receipt.

Important: You must also submit an Affidavit for Homestead Tax Deferral Application (PDF 70 KB)

    Is there interest on deferred taxes?

    Yes. The interest rate is determined by the Florida Department of Revenue.

    Who determines if I am eligible for property tax deferral?

    The Broward County Tax Collector's office.

    When do deferred taxes have to be paid?

    Deferred taxes must be paid if:

    • there is a change in the use of the tax-deferred property, such that the owner is no longer entitled to claim homestead exemption for the property
    • property owner fails to maintain the required fire and extended insurance coverage on the tax-deferred property
    • there is a change in ownership of a tax-deferred property
      there is a year in which the total amount of deferred taxes, non-ad valorem assessments and interest exceeds 85% of the assessed