Broward Takes the “Bite” Out of Mosquito Season
Spring and summer brings frequent, heavy rain to Broward County and rain brings mosquitoes. Intense spraying for mosquitoes normally begins in June. Broward County Mosquito Control conducts aerial and ground spraying that target neighborhoods where high populations of the insects have been trapped.
Mosquitoes are not only annoying, they can be a public health issue. The County Biologist regularly traps mosquitos, separates them by species and detects any potential viruses. Findings will determine the chemical application to be used and the type of spraying required.
Three Ways to Request Service:
The best protection from mosquito-transmitted diseases is to avoid exposure to mosquitoes.
- Keep doors and windows closed.
- Stay indoors at dusk and dawn.
- Dress in long-sleeved and light-colored clothing in a known mosquito-infested area.
- Apply insect repellent containing DEET sparingly to clothing and skin.
- Inspect your yards and drains. Store or dispose cans, old tires, buckets, unused plastic swimming pools or other debris that can collect and hold standing water which promotes breeding.
- Flush plants weekly.
- Repair leaky pipes.
- Maintain and clean roof gutters.
If you need mosquito spraying, call (954) 765-4062 or make an online request now.