Residents of the Broward Municipal Services District (formerly called "Unincorporated Broward") do not have to separate recyclable items. All recyclable items can be mixed together in one cart.
Put these items together in your blue cart:
Newspapers, inserts, catalogs, magazines, junk mail, office paper, soft-covered books, file folders, soda cartons, and crushed boxes including tissue boxes and those from food items such as cereal, rice and pasta.
- Flattened cardboard from non-food items such as moving or shipping boxes
- Aluminum and steel food and beverage containers
- Plastic bottles with neck narrower than body, such as soda bottles, milk, water, detergent and shampoo bottles
- Glass food and beverage containers
- Milk and juice cartons and drink boxes
Before placing recyclables in the cart, make sure to:
- Rinse containers
- Remove newspapers from plastic delivery bags
- Recycle plastic grocery bags at local supermarket - don't place with recyclables
- Remove straws
- Do not put garbage or food waste in with recyclables
- Do not include containers used for margarine, bleach, oil, grease, hazardous material, household cleaners, medical waste or microwave containers
Do not put these items in your blue recycling cart:
- Household garbage including food scraps and pizza boxes
- Plastic bags
- Miscellaneous plastics such as toys and cups
- Certain glass products including window or auto glass, lightbulbs, mirrors, glass cookware or bakeware and ceramics
- Yard or plant debris
- Medical waste or pharmaceuticals
- Gas cylinders, tanks, rocks, dirt, building debris, flammables and small appliances
- Electronic items including computers, televisions and monitors*
- Household hazardous waste including motor oil, paint, pesticides and household cleaners*
*See guidelines for proper disposal of electronics and household hazardous waste.
For customer service, please call 954-765-4999.